Creaky carbon frame???

....right an update for anyone that cares! The Bonty rear hub/free wheel that I have just pulls off! (with a fair bit of brute force, but thats something I'm known for! :facepalm: )...Flushed the freehub through with gt85 (not the hub races) and then applied some grease. Re-assembled and it all seems to have cured the cracking creaking sound! I found this Park tools guide handy:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ub-service

Whether this is a temp fix or gone for good who knows I took it for a quick 10 min spin and all was ok...just glad its not the frame thats cracked or something too horrible! Slightly gutted that I bought a new XTR BB when the old one was fine though! Oh well c'est la vie!

Thanks for all the help/advice/experience, invaluable as always. :D

Doug

Re: Re: Creaky carbon frame???

Hi Doug,

I have an identical freewheel (marked FH-68-P5) which I am struggling to remove. I note your post update you said that it just pulls off. I have removed both end caps and resorted to putting freehub body in a soft vice and applying what I would describe as a reasonable amount of force, but still no joy :cry:

Could you give me an idea of the method you used and also a feel for how much "brute force" you had to apply?

Any help appreciated

Craig

Re: Re: Creaky carbon frame???

Spokey":11v37p8t said:
Hi Doug,

I have an identical freewheel (marked FH-68-P5) which I am struggling to remove. I note your post update you said that it just pulls off. I have removed both end caps and resorted to putting freehub body in a soft vice and applying what I would describe as a reasonable amount of force, but still no joy :cry:

Could you give me an idea of the method you used and also a feel for how much "brute force" you had to apply?

Any help appreciated

Craig

Hello mate,

Yeah no worries asking about the freehub. I have since changed the freehub for a new one and whilst mine came off ok I think that was due to is missing an O-ring it has since transpired. When I went to get it changed at my local bike shop who I have been going to for over 20 years they were unable to order the new freehub. It turns out you can only order from a Bonty/Trek dealer which in the end I did...Not cheap mine the new one was £58 something and required a specific tool to press it back onto the hub ( another £10!). I am super happy with the new freehub though...and its been through one super muddy wet winter and is going through another just this weekend. I have probably done around 2000 miles on it so far and still nice and clicky and no slop/play when putting the power down.

So not knowing why you are removing it I can only say if its replacement take it to a trek dealer or if its to replace with another freehub then you could try 2 X thin bladed flat screw driver between the hub and the freehub on opposing sides.

Let me know if you have any other questions and how you get on.

Doug

Try this. Take your seat post out and flip the bike upside down. Get some spray lube and spray into the seat tube. Aim the spray to hit the inside of the seat tube 9"-a foot towards the bb. Spray liberally and have a rag below the seat tube to catch any drips. Let it sit over night. Clean out the seat tube with a long rag and a dowel. Don't let the rag get all the way in, you'll need to pull it out. Insert seat post and ride.

Back