Crazy impulse buy.. ORBIT something,,, What is it? and WHY??

Re: Re:

Cheers guys, the DIY decals went onto the frame superbly well last night, drying out and I'll seal them in with a couple of clear coats this evening.

raidan73":18feqflz said:
I'm not a fan of V's on canti frames, particularly the more vintage ones, but that's just me ;)
Couldn't agree more, simple black cantis with steel hangers will look so much better. This builds coming out better than I expected so I'm starting to change my mind on the "use what's lying around" idea

dyna-ti":18feqflz said:
Might be an idea to do a practice or 2 first with the decals
I did try a couple on some scrap tubing, but I'm hoping that this is going to be alright, still time for me to mess up a clear coat by including cat hair grit and bumfluff but nothing prevents that :)

weeman_mtb":18feqflz said:
I did a yellow Orbit myself last year which initially turned out quite well, here's the thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=253955&hilit=black+country+steel Unfortunately the powdercoaters must have messed up somewhere in the process and it's now sitting up the loft rotting through the paintwork, can't bear to look at it I'm that gutted.
Thats a real nice cliffhanger frame, a lot better grade of tube than my low-rent 501 frontier and no doubt lighter. Crying shame about the powder coat disaster and slightly worrying when loads of us are getting frames coated :shock: - it must have been a chemical reaction perhaps? Probably savable with another grit blast and recoat, but I can understand how annoying that could be :( hope one day you can get the momentum to re-do it.

Will post a pic of the decalled bike later

Re:

Looked pretty nice on the dining room table ye sterday. I'm spotting a couple of small air bubbles today but not a disaster enough for me to rethink. I'm going for a bunch of clear coats...
orbit4_zpsaa32b1a3.jpg

Also put some gumwall schwalbe road cruisers on the wheels.. I want this as my road commuter so I can put knoblies back on my P7 for muddy winter rides round my local bridle paths.

Now the question is.. are full length white plastic mudguards a crime :) It is an '80s bike after all

Re:

Looking good. I think the yellow looks better in this photo

Re:

Slow progress being made.. Starting to see how things might look together. Its much yellower in the flesh.

Bit of an odd mix of components which is being driven by trying to keep the build on the low cost side. Will have Exage, LX and a few XT bits. The cranks are FSA powerpro with some welgo DMR-V8 copy pedals from a forum member.

Any recommendations or suggestions for a saddle?

fronteir-rebuild1_zpsafbd24a5.jpg

fronteir-rebuild3_zps4a3a87f4.jpg

Re:

Looking very nice, well worth the effort with the decals, they really make it stand out.

That's looking too good for going to work on, you'll need something a bit rougher for the Winter. That's the excuse I gave my wife for yet another bike anyway :D .

Re:

Just about finished with this. might not be to everyone's taste but....

orbit-rebuild1_zpsc1d8a940.jpg

orbit-rebuild4_zpsa1d93bf3.jpg

orbit-rebuild3_zps4244a992.jpg

orbit-rebuild2_zps942774ab.jpg

'cos of the dire weather it hasn't really had a proper run yet, but seemed very nice and very quick rolling on my short test run.

Its not cost me much - including the bike, powder coat, new rims and tyres and a stack of parts. Certainly way cheaper than the cheapest of hybrids.

Re:

Good looking bike you've finished up with there and also very practical.

I'm just in the process of building my regular commuter back up for Autumn/Winter. Think I'm going to go with a single ring up front like yours, no point in having the other two for road use and it looks tidy too.

Re:

Another one saved from the scrap heap :D Nice job and very functional. What new bike could you get for the money you've spent on that? A very bad one I expect :LOL:

Back