Cranks that use shorter BB's?

First gen STX used a short axle if you're after a cheaper setup. . . and the 93 black LX. The LX would look ok on an avalanche. . . or just run all the way up to a cooks e. . .

elite504":2jnb8gsr said:
First gen STX used a short axle if you're after a cheaper setup. . . and the 93 black LX. The LX would look ok on an avalanche. . . or just run all the way up to a cooks e. . .

LX has been mentioned :)

STX was 110+, may work but then lots more are available in 110 as well, mind Deore is 110 - 113 and if that's not working then STX shouldn't... though seens as it's the crank arms hitting, I guess it depends on the shape of the arms.

If the BB is half knackered anyway, just get a longer one and fit the same cranks. Cheaper than new cranks surely?

I should explain 'half knackered' i think. BB threads in the frame were a bit iffy and initially the cup wouldn't screw in square. This sort of knackered the thread on one cup(new Real BB :evil: ). Anyway after much swearing and gentle fettling I managed to get the BB in the frame square. Lovely except as mentioned the axle is too short for any of my current crop of cranks. So now i'm loathed to remove it and will just get some lower profile cranks to suit. It'll probably end up being a single speed so road ones are an option. Thanks for all the info.

Re: .

Grannygrinder":1n78yi2n said:
I should explain 'half knackered' i think. BB threads in the frame were a bit iffy and initially the cup wouldn't screw in square. This sort of knackered the thread on one cup(new Real BB :evil: )........

Should've taken it to your LBS and got them to chase the threads. Would've saved a lot of bother. ;)

Trickiest part of bikes is those damned bottom brackets
they really can be tricky devils :evil:

Xesh, tou are right mate, but I wouldn't trust my LBS with a pasty. Only decent shop is 40 mile round trip so I only go there on special occasions :D

Back