Crank Length differences....

Its true, i did a measurement test based on a chaps for sale advert here. has anyone got the link handy? Its kinda how to measure by sitting against a wall then subtracting from your height to get leg length and then look on a chart, turned out I need like 185 cranks or summat!! I've only ever had 175's including my new ones!

only difference i find is i catch the pedals in ruts more with 175mm than the 170s i was using week before last :roll:

other than that ill use either . wouldnt use 180s , id catch the back of my shoe on the axle of my bmx if i did

Never seem to notice the difference myself. :?

I've got 170mm on my geared ATB, 175mm on my road SS and 180mm on my ATB SS.

If the seat height is adjusted correctly I can't see how it would make a difference other than ground clearance.

Theoretically a shorter crank will be better for spinning and a longer one for grinding gears.

the difference is about how much the knee bends. Over bending the knee causes problems for me, and mans that the big muscles are either not used to their full length or are overstretched.

Crank length differences is one of the reasons I have so many bikes...

For long rides of more than a couple of hours I pay a big price for days afterwards if I run 175s whereas 170s aren't so much fun on power climbs and more punchy high intensity riding....

But knee pain can be caused by having a seat set too high. I always understood, the correct height to be when sitting normally, with foot on the pedal at the most southern part of the chainring, the knee should be slightly bent.

Yes, the crank length thing, my old bike had 175mm cranks, the one I have now has 170mm, according to highpath, I am bang on correct with these newer cranks, a length of 170mm. Well not new, but Shimano STX I think, whatever, they are better than the XT cranks I had, not only length, but the old XT's, I used to catch my foot on the centre casting shoulder.

Back