Crank help required Sorted- Thanks All :D

Re: Crank help required

The History Man":1eistz3p said:
Go hollotech ii (2) very simple to fit and swap. Widely available new and used. Apparently the BBs don't last as long as old school stuff but what does?
Indeed. and its not like i go out that much :LOL:
Cheers :cool:

ishaw":1eistz3p said:
. Happy to let them go for £50 as they are just gathering dust in the garage at the moment.
Ill keep that in mind but thanks for the offer :D

RickTheUncivil":1eistz3p said:
back in the day i ran a 2x8 setup simply by mashing a load of teeth off the big ring and then not shifting into 3 on the LH shifter for a year or so. no special parts required!
:shock: yes i know it all worked. I had the exact same on a lightweight alloy run around. All stripped down for speed. I used a road crank utilizing the inners and the outer as you say mashed off
We in Scotland prefer to file them away then dress it off ,possibly even a polish and machine enamel :LOL:

But this wont, and i trust the source enough not to try then find out it doesnt
Narrow chain, spacing on old 3x style it too far apart, Chain wont sit on ring or will sit between the two.
Single ring must be narrow wide, again same boat as Foz. im 110, but besides i do fancy a 2x10 :) and if that means a new crank then new(ish) it is.

Taken on board about the XT in that its all there for a fair price but was hoping to stick with sram. just as the mechs and shifters are the same. But ill go look at the XT cranks on CRC. So cheers for that all the same. :cool:

Middle ring is to be the same. I certainly dont see anything moving there as theres nothing wrong with it at the moment. The bottom bracket that is currently fitted is the bottom bracket for the crank so theres nothing to do with adjusting the chainline or something to do with the q factor or whatever.
SORRY, just looked at that again. Obviously front spacing and line would be different as one is for 9 the other 10, sorry for the confusion there :oops: on a 2x crank with matching BB theres no change or incremental disturbance.
Spacing on the two front rings is different. that means the cogs on the back are also narrower. To adjust the bb would be nigh on impossible unless youve a wide range available to fit at the time all increasing in 1/2mm increments.
Now a 10 spd rear modern needs a 10 spd crank thats modern. Which is all i wish to know :) Which is a good BB. Which BB fits Which crank type- given there are many- All cost money BUT if i were to use such and such a bb WOULD that open up for a better set of cranks again IE say a bb30 isnt supposed to fit standard 68mm shell but can, thus allows you to take advantage of say CRC bb30 cranks @70% off and the like.

Failing that then which is a good BB ? as although ive not used beyond square taper i have read a large number of threads over the years slating one BB design interface over another :? So what is best now :?

I can see why people drive :shock: :LOL:

I thank y-all for your advice and nearly took it :LOL: with the XT as its all inc, washers etc. And i was just about to hit buy it now when i thought id have one last look :oops:

Spotted Sram X9 2x10 GXP with BB for £70 new(oem)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SRAM-Truvativ ... Sw5IJWg6nH

Thanks again though. Cleared up a lot of doubts :cool:

One left incidentally...

Attachments

• Sram X9 2x10 crankset (Custom).JPG
    Sram X9 2x10 crankset (Custom).JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 163
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back