Crank help required Sorted- Thanks All :D

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
OK im new to this modern crank business and am currently and for the last 20++years been using square taper

But due to gross stupidity i thought i'd give 2x10 a go, not realizing it means changing every blood thing in the entire drivetrain :facepalm:
After sorting the problems in matching the shifter to mech, im now onto the cranks.

My trusty AC DH LoPro cranks can no longer cut it, so i need to change them to 10 speed, or 2 speed to be exact.
Naturally and in line with the rear mech compatibility issue, simply taking off a ring and shifting things about ive been told is a no no.
So new(ish) cranks and a new all improved bottom bracket , which i know im going to get wrong, due to the bike probably stemming from before the new types came along.

Standard 68mm shell

What do it need ? Help Help :(

If anyone has an XO 2x10 for sale id like to hear from them :D alternatively, how do i pick or know what of the myriad of BB's i need.
I see BB30 you can pick up cheaper cranks. Is BB30 a special fitting or what ?
Whats GPX. I picked up a sram spider last year sometime 99p silly bid and won-sat here since.
It has on it 2x10 GPX Im measuring the BCD at 120mm,thinking i could utilize that if i got cranks/rings and BB but probably easier and cheaper to buy complete. Or at least know what i need.

See im utterly clueless with this. :facepalm:

In fact if anyones got any 2x10 crank theyd like to part with drop me a line. :)

Re: Crank help required

BB30 won't fit, its a different size bottom bracket (you can get adaptors/specials, but they are a pain)
GXP (not GPX) will fit, it's SRAMs version of the HollowtechII external. But somewhat less reliable/durable. Much like the Old ISIS/Octalink discussion.

That one you've linked to will drop straight into a BSA 68 shell (with the correct spacers, you'll need to read the manual)

Dunno who told you you couldn't muck around with ring spacing to go 2x. Thats what the early shimano 2x9 systems were. The later ones move the rings over slightly to get a better chainline, but the inner/middle chainline will work.

If you want hassle free, just find a Shimano SLX M675 double, comes with the right bottom bracket and all the spacers. And ticks pretty much all the boxes. Especially as they are only 85 quid. Or if you feel a bit spendy, get the XT M785, which is only about 100-110.

Go hollotech ii (2) very simple to fit and swap. Widely available new and used. Apparently the BBs don't last as long as old school stuff but what does?

I have SLX, deore and LX ones and they seem fine so far.

mechanical_vandal":a33740bl said:
What's wrong with fitting 2 X 10speed rings to your current cranks and a slightly longer bb to sort the chainline?

I was thinking that too! I ran a 1x9 setup on ancient cranks and square taper for years with no problems.

The chainline is very very unlikely to be bad enough to even need a longer axle. Unless its on the short side already.

I run 2x8 on a standard crank (sugino fuse 500) and it works fine. I have a 24 small inner ring and 38 ring int he middle position, no outer. no problem with chainline - there might be some in the 38 and 12/13 sprocket, but I hardly ever get up enough speed for that combination on the MTB.

The problem I'm trying to get around at the moment is finding a narrow-wide chainring for standard 5 bolt 110 BCD cranks - they either don't exist, or are very expensive. Will probably just try a standard ring for now but the last time I tried it with a standard (non-clutch) rear mech, it didn't work too well...

would be interested to hear on the BB compatibility thing too - standard 63mm threaded BB, what BB standards can I use with it, other than square taper? and preferably without expensive or troublesome adaptors!

I've was going to go 2x10 on a bike but ended up 1x10 so have a spare crank and bb. It's an FSA omega running 110 bcd rings (road compact). It's very tidy and I bought a brand new bb which is still boxed as I never used it or the cranks. Not sure if it's what you are after but if it's of interest drop me a line and I can send you some pics. Bb was £30 from wiggle or crc (have the receipt somewhere), and the cranks cost me £30. Happy to let them go for £50 as they are just gathering dust in the garage at the moment.

back in the day i ran a 2x8 setup simply by mashing a load of teeth off the big ring and then not shifting into 3 on the LH shifter for a year or so. no special parts required!

Back