Crank bros headsets, any good?

Tinotrials":1ly4ybwf said:
like i said ive had one for about 10 years (same bearings, same everything really?) have you faced your head tube ?

Yep all faced. I dont doubt the quality of the bearings or headset overall one bit, just the design of the top bearing cap and i believe the problem has only really presented itself along with huge travel and 29er's due to leverage.

My commuter gets contsant endo's and stair sets and hops etc. so im not surprised it has happened.

When you look at the design and logically compare it to the split race, its pretty poor. Thats why they have changed it.

But its seems its rather hit and miss as to whether it will happen.

cyfa2809":ye5wbdfe said:
When you look at the design and logically compare it to the split race, its pretty poor. Thats why they have changed it.

I thought they changed because Cane Creeks patent ran out?

Yep, i think king thought his design was fine before it ran out so why change it?
People say that he didnt want to pay for a license but i did read that he actually had a license but preferred his design?

So why change it shortly after the patent ran out?

In my eyes, if they were either - that sure of their design, they wouldnt have changed it OR - theyre design isnt so good, and changed it (which they have), so now i think as it seems to be the second case, that they should offer free griplocks to all those with the old style bearing cap.
Otherwise its £25, on an already expensive headset.

Rather underhand and seedy in my opinion.

Back