Crank arm removal

:LOL: some really extreme techniques as always. why dont you just cut it off as the threads are shot in it anyway :!: :?:

i have had some really frozen cranks from time, rust and abuse and always just riding or wobbling them off has worked, no tools, just a mallet, or hammer if you dont need the crank arm.

trying to pull a crank off square to the axle means you are trying to unstick all four sides at once, just tap it back and forth, can do that why you wait for your super puller to arrive, will lossen the crank and it will fall off, same as riding around on it.

Re:

regret to say you are right

I have indeed also glared at a crank in frustration - giving it 'the look'

....and then getting the lump hammer and giving it a right thrashing

it works

I'd rather avoid it

but it does work

Re:

I'm not cutting them as apart from the threads which are hidden behind the cap their in excellent condition. I want to remove all 3 rings and fit just a single up front.

Just been out to the garage to try some suggestions, but riding is out as it's only a frame and crank now.

I wrapped the arm in thick cardboard and place that in the vice jaws and used the frame as leverage whilst twisting and pulling but still nothing. I did have a few hits with a copper and hide mallet but I'll wait for a small gear puller

Re: Re:

kalex":33pnivfh said:
I did have a few hits with a copper and hide mallet but I'll wait for a small gear puller

:) its not just going to fall off after a couple of hits :LOL:

Just sit with it and keep tapping it, doesnt have to be hard but it does take time, from the front then the back, it will come loose. If you rode it then it takes a while and you have the force/leverage of your body weight to wobble it loose, with a mallet as you dont want to damage it then it will take longer, but like i said, you have to wait anyway so no harm in trying. where are you based? i could get it off for you for a price of a coffee ;)

mark

Re: Re:

mkone":zvssjgq9 said:
kalex":zvssjgq9 said:
I did have a few hits with a copper and hide mallet but I'll wait for a small gear puller

:) its not just going to fall off after a couple of hits :LOL:

Just sit with it and keep tapping it, doesnt have to be hard but it does take time, from the front then the back, it will come loose. If you rode it then it takes a while and you have the force/leverage of your body weight to wobble it loose, with a mallet as you dont want to damage it then it will take longer, but like i said, you have to wait anyway so no harm in trying. where are you based? i could get it off for you for a price of a coffee ;)

mark

Thanks for the offer but hopefully I'll be sorted shortly. Also they were only token hits as don't want to damage anything.

What sent me down the wrong track was that I thought I'd used these pulley pullers years back to remove a crank arm before and for some reason they now wouldn't fit. After starting this thread I spotted online the small gear pulley which I now think I must have borrowed and will explain me remembering using a puller albeit a smaller different one.

Thanks again for the kind offer of help as it is appreciated to know there's members out there willing to lend a hand

Back