Crank about to crack?

Tommy27

Retro Guru
20230806_172410.jpg

Just about to set off from an event, fortunately near a station. Was looking forward to ride back. Looked down and thought is that a scratch.... looks much worse.. than a scratch to me.

Wasn't there when I rode it on Friday so must of appeared on today's ride... which is included a good patch of Rough stuff..

They're Campy Record Pista cranks, which I always thought were pretty solid?

They're on a Mercian Track/ Path bike.

Those look fubar to me. Yes, pretty strong but also pretty old, not designed for rough stuff and square taper so prone to cracking if installed many times...

Thanks @foz . By Rough stuff we're talking Bridleways/ byways that you'd be ok on any roadbike usually. Been using this bike for a while on such routes on dry days, because I think it was made for grass given the clearances (easily run 30mm with mudguards) and it rides great on road. Only been on an acutal track once with this Bike.

But I think you're right and I've learnt my lesson, which fourtunately could of ended much worse.

Back in the day I saw campag record cranks break on 2 separate occasions sprinting out of corners. One across the pedal threads, the second midway along the middle. And to add further surprise, on one of these instances the guy was a real skinny climber type

So, not indestructible, nor an isolated case

I've done in Miche, Dura Ace before, but never Campag or Sugino Track Cranks. When I was a bike courier/ messenger I went through the first two, then got some Sugino 75s on my work bike and they out lasted the frame they were on. Miche snapped while in saddle (would of been even less fun if out of it since I was on a fixed). Dura Ace went on taper.

Maybe go for something heavier/ tougher instead. My missus has had the same pair of SR cranks on her race bike for over 20 years and they've survived grass track, Herne Hill, Preston Park (and the potholes it used to have) underneath a sprinter.

Might be of interest to you

Nothing to do with me, by the way, only spotted it.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back