Coyote XC Ultra lite frame acquired, any info would be great

Haha that blue Coyote that legrandefromage posted pics of has been living happily in Finland for many years! Actually I am just about to build it again with proper 1990s parts, V brakes and Mavic Ceramic rims.

Anyway, here is some discussion regarding the origins of that blue Coyote, copied from my thread:

Coyote was a bike brand commissioning frames from Taiwan to its own designs, just like many other brands. I don't know who owned it though. I think they always used high-end Easton tubesets and they have always been highly regarded.
What is the serial number? That could tell you when it was built, and at what factory.
Serial number is F95011161.
There is a Easton Elite sticker on the seat tube near the BB.
Right dropout is stamped "ALFTON".
F9501 tells us it was built in the Fairly factory in January 1995. I believe the factory is owned by Giant. It makes frames and bikes for many other brands, including Kona. A 1995 Kona Kula could have had that serial number, but a 1995 Kula frame cost £699 to buy, whereas the Coyote cost £399 and the Coyote had a better tubeset. That is about as early as you get with Easton Elite. Most companies didn't get to use it until their 96 model ranges later in the year, but I think Coyote had quite a good relationship with Easton. You can always rely on it that an Easton Elite frame is well built, because Easton were choosy about who they sold it to, so all Elite frames were made in Easton-approved factories and of course the warranty-holder was ultimately Easton.
I don't know what ALFTON signifies.
In deciphering the information stamped into the frame, I hope I can add to what Anthony has already suggested.
Fairly Bike Manufacturing Company is a Taiwan-based assembly factory. They paint and assemble in their facilities, but do not build their own frames. They are not owned by Giant. http://www.fairlybike.com/
Alfton is the trade name of Fung Tien Electric Co., Ltd., a Taiwan-based frame maker, and a long-time supplier partner of Fairly Bike. They delivered the frame to Fairly, who finished and assembled it, either into a frameset or a complete bike.

I do not know if any of this is useful info though as your frame is so different.

Haha that blue Coyote that legrandefromage posted pics of has been living happily in Finland for many years! Actually I am just about to build it again with proper 1990s parts, V brakes and Mavic Ceramic rims.

Anyway, here is some discussion regarding the origins of that blue Coyote, copied from my thread:

I do not know if any of this is useful info though as your frame is so different.
Thats interesting mate thank you....Definitely Easton tubing and original decals, they were a complete bugger to get off and wouldn't even shift using stripper to remove clear coat. All done now and nearly polished ready for fresh decals....Any idea where i could get some the same?

Hi Barry.

I'm not really sure what this frame is, the lack of replies from others here may mean they're similarly confused.
Outwardly it appears most similar to the earliest frames, usually called the 'Ultralite', HT1 or HT2, these all had round tubes for the rear triangle. The HT3/HT4/HT5 frames had CNC yokes and square tubes.

It is definitely not the first hardtail frame, as they didn't have a replaceable mech hanger (too old) and had a rear cantilever hangar too. See @legrandefromage who had a blue one. They also had riveted cable stops.

Yours is interesting in that it has both 'snakestays' and also rack mounts. I've not seen rack mounts on one before.
Coyote frames were generally made from Easton Aluminium, so either a sticker to show the type of alu used and/or the tube would be stamped, take a close look around the head tube end of the top and down tubes.
The 'XC' sticker on the top tube is also unusual. Most years, the Coyote frames were painted or anodised, except for the very first ones, so a later model in silver is strange to see.
Also not sure about the frame number. It may signify that it is a 1999 frame, which makes sense with the replaceable derailleur hangar and the lack of a cantilever brake bridge, but is concurrent with the later square tubed HT3/4/5 frames. However that number could be a complete red herring as to age.
Finally, the logos look more modern. Assuming this is a genuine Coyote, my best guess is that it is a late model frame that was sold post the HT5 model, so potentially 2002 ish.

It may be useful if you can find out the seatpost size and check what front mech band size is. Also, if you can weigh it accurately, remove the seat clamp and headset cups to get a precise weight.

Back