Cool Funk Pro Comp from BITD

neilll

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This was posted deep in the Wanted section by new member Mike....(long story...)

Thought people would appreciate it more here:

mikepday":4pua3qhh said:
OK thanks to neil for this,

The original photo!

No laughing at the cheesy grin! :D

Mike.

Mikes_Funk.jpg

My Funk

This was it in an early guise with XT/XTR and Mavic/XC pro hubs,

I later put 231cds/nukeproofs and radial front with 2/3 cross rear and blue alloy nipples and made everything steel turn to Ti! (the bike shop fairy was very benevolent!)

I think they were Ritchey WCS tyres.... I remember they were almost lighter than the air they held! In fact it was the lightest offroad wheelset I'd ever built at the time. (our house was a real weight weeny fest! 4 bikes with a combined weight of less than 90lbs if I recall! the kitchen scales were permanently in use!) Handlebars were NARROW, at one point the brake barrel adjusters on the XTR rapidfires nearly touched.

The seatpin went USE ti and the saddle became a Bonty hollow cromo.

Thats all I can remember for now (it was nearly 19 years ago!)

Enjoy,

Mike.

these days we're all getting de-sensitised to such top end stuff, all getting older and (ahem) more affluent etc, but it's great to see a pic like that from BITD and realise that it was such a rarity and big deal to perhaps bump into another rider out there in the field, on a special machine or an exotically specc'd out uber bike.

:cool:

Inigo Montoya":2d9g8w4x said:
thats a very cool pic mike!!
love the setup. must have been a very stiff ride?

Actually not as stiff as you might think - certainly less buzz than a 'dale and more rigid but softer than my previous ride, an Almega, and the fr mech didn't scrape the chain all the time on steep climbs like the Almega. The down tube was huge at the BB, with much larger welds than my later '92/'93 pro comp. It wasn't a bad descender although it preferred to be hopped over large stuff instead of ridden thru, my god did it climb though.

The Frame was actually second hand but thru the guys at Shokwave, I believe it may originally have been a candy Pink one but the paint had lasted seconds apparently.

Because it hadn't been originally mirror polished it was a B***h to keep clean but I reckon I must have polished a few grams off it in my tenure!

o
PS if anyone has a black ringle cage the same, I've been lookng for one for my Bonty for a while, only seem to see red or green ones!

:D :cool:

Wu-Tangled":38qo8hf0 said:
these days we're all getting de-sensitised to such top end stuff, all getting older and (ahem) more affluent etc, but it's great to see a pic like that from BITD and realise that it was such a rarity and big deal to perhaps bump into another rider out there in the field, on a special machine or an exotically specc'd out uber bike.

:cool:

thats areally good point

the funk is beautiful

Back