compatibility 7 spd downtube shifter '87 with 8spd cassette?

pondweed

Old School Hero
I've been finding that the extra indexing stop works quite well with an extra cog added on the cassette, (bike was 3 x7 and I'm now running 3 x :cool: but now I'm starting to road test I've realised that the indexing distances may well not be right... I am getting chatter on the upper/larger rear rings.

Can someone confirm that either my 1987ish 7 spd RX100 shifters will technically work (and thus may need clean or overhaul) over the 8 speed range, OR will NOT!

I'm wondering about the DT Sunrace 8 spd braze on if I do need something else. Any thoughts on those? Or am I better spending another 25 quid and getting Ultegra bar-ends kit..

Thanks...

The spacing of 7 and 8 speed is not the same, despite what internet experts say: 7 is 5.0mm, 8 is 4.8.
Usually it works OK, provided cables are clean and a bit of fiddling is done. Add dirt and wear and it goes downhill. It is always better to run with the right stuff - and 8 speed levers are still available new from people like Ribble.

Re:

...which is why my MTB with XT thumbshifters will be a 7 speed and won't use the extra ghost click. I'd rather have precise, reliable shifting than the extra gear. How many sprockets do you really need with a triple up front, anyway?

Back