Colnago Master - Seeking Advice

glen1189

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

i've got the opportunity to purchase the attached Colango Master with super records groupest and Delta Brakes. It's a thing of beauty but I'd be keen to hear what people think is a fair price?

thanks,

Glen

Attachments

• IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,267
Re:

Looks like a lovely bike! It really comes down to condition, Glen - to respray a frame like this with new chrome will cost you a fortune. Parts for the Super Record components are available but you might spend ages looking for them. On the plus side, if you trade in the Deltas for some proper super record levers and calipers (you really should) you will be left with some change.

If I were buying a bike like this I would expect to be looking to pay somewhere around £1000, if it's in good condition - straight frame, good paint, solid chrome, good bearings, rims etc. If you look on Hilary Stone's website, he has a Masi for sale which is conceptually quite similar, for £1350; I would pay more for the Masi than the Colnago, but bear in mind that the £1350 is a dealer price. If there are significant problems with the paint or the chrome, the price would come down fast - in fact, I would probably look at another one.

Hope that helps! Tony

Re:

I would second those remarks. A closer inspection to see what kind of condition that frame is in would be the first port of call. Often bikes are left to rot in damp garages rendering the chome work "buggered" and make it pointless looking at a renovation which would cost a fortune.

Take it from there..

However, if it looks like a go-er then remember what miserable Scots rider, Robert Millar once said - "Colnago - Buy it - Own it - Love it - Forever.."

Or something like that.. And he didn't give out praise lightly either!

:|

:D

Hi All,

Thanks once again for the kind advice. I picked the bike up this evening for £800, which i was happy to pay. Frame seems to be in good condition, chrome is in relatively good condition aside from a few marks which is expected with ages. Attached a few more pictures below.

Stripped most of it down however struggling slightly with the cranks so applied some penetrating fluid over night and will revisit tomorrow.

thanks,

Glen

Attachments

• Colnago 10.JPG
    Colnago 10.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,134
  • Colnago 4.JPG
    Colnago 4.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,134
  • Colnago 5.JPG
    Colnago 5.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,134
  • Colnago 6.JPG
    Colnago 6.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,134
  • Colnago 9.JPG
    Colnago 9.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,134
Re:

Beautiful ... hope we get some nice weather soon so you can ride it! Let us know how it rides.

Thanks chaps! Took it for the obligatory sprint up the cul-de-sac before stripping it and absolutely love the feel of it. Will keep updated.

Glen

Love the pantograph on the chain set. I love my colnago and enjoy every bit of riding it. £800 is a spot on price.... You will not be disappointed. Would cash in on the deltas though as don't stop aswel IMO.

Keith

Back