Colnago laid bare

Re:

I've just had a great 'customer experience' at Halfords in their paint department. I went along with my forks looking for a touchup paint on their selves. Quite quickly a chap came over to me and asked if he could help. I showed him the forks and he said he'd try and mix the right colour. We looked through colour samples from cars to find the nearest match and tweaked the mix a few times to get it close. The pot I have below is what we ended up with. I'm sure it won't be exact, but I've also bought some blue T-Cut to see if that can blend it in. We'll see....

Attachments

• DSC_0003 2.jpg
    DSC_0003 2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 393
I need to post up some pics soon, as the bike is coming together really well. I just need to reconnect the gears and bb and we'll be ready to roll. I've stopped trying to figure out what model it is... maybe I look into again one day!

Really looking forward to seeing some pics - and I assume you have (hopefully) solved the snapped bolt problem - amongst others you may have run in to ;)

Finished.... nearly

It seems an absolute age since I did an update on the build. Well, we're pretty much there. New Jagwire cables, new Record headset, Turbo seat, bar tape, plus tyres and brakes I had in the shed (which I want to change, but cash has run out!). Everything has been stripped, cleaned and put back together.

From some image searching on Google for 'Colnago super 1982 blue', it looks as though the frame could be that. It's just oddities like rear vertical drop outs and the pump nipple on the frame (I think that's what it is).

Next I will change the tyres and a little later, the brakes - to be more in keeping with the rest of the bike. Any recommendations on 'retro' tyres?

This is my first rebuild and I've learned a great deal. The scary thing is I'm already looking out for something else!

Attachments

• Colnago1.JPG
    Colnago1.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 230
  • Colnago2.JPG
    Colnago2.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 230
  • Colnago5.JPG
    Colnago5.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 230
  • Colnago4.JPG
    Colnago4.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 230
Hi

Your bike is looking good - I am not able to "blow-up" your pictures but the front fork definitely doesn't look 1982 - more likely v. late '80s or perhaps early '90s.

For retro tyres, I am very partial to Veloflex Master clinchers: not the world's best puncture resistance but the ride can not be bettered by clinchers. I buy them in Europe but here's one UK link:
http://www.merlincycles.com/veloflex-ma ... 65487.html

Look forward to seeing further updates

Latest posts

Back