Cobra Cycles No.74 - Reynolds 531 British steel finished P3

Another superb build! Love the Mavic so much! I don’t know why I don’t spend more time in readers bikes....

Re: Re:

retrobikeguy":21l0ls0q said:
Now ...... Options

In my head I'm sure I have decided but options are as follows.

Deore LX, I have a full groupset of this and so far I don't have a 1990 Lx grouped bike.

Deore XT, again, I have a full groupset but I'm thinking that its too easy an option.

XTR, Full minty groupset except for headset and front derailleur, was saving it for something, just not sure what.

Simplex 'Fun Bike' , now you dont see this stuff much but I have a nos gear and drivetrain so need to source wheelsand brakes. they made the MTB group for Mavic.

Mavic Dakar, I have a full groupset bar the seatpost. I just tried the 28hole wheels in it for an idea .... it is nice :cool:

CWhtByFh.jpg

This is an inspirational thread !
Thanks so much -
I’m curious to know more about the Simplex Fun Bike group - if you have any photos I’d be very much interested to see!

I’m currently on a mission for an all French MTB - (a shame the Look frame is made in Canada eh?? :LOL: )
But looking for any hints tips ideas and inspiration
Also need the frame BB chamfered for the bottom bracket - I was offered a loan of the chamfering tool but I’m too clumsy to try that.

ibbz":19097uaa said:
Thanks so much -
I’m curious to know more about the Simplex Fun Bike group - if you have any photos I’d be very much interested to see!

I’m currently on a mission for an all French MTB - (a shame the Look frame is made in Canada eh?? :LOL: )
Also need the frame BB chamfered for the bottom bracket - I was offered a loan of the chamfering tool but I’m too clumsy to try that.

Thank you sir,

Simplex made a lot of old roadie stuff WBITD, the Mtb kit never really took off but its obovious that much of it was used in the mavic Dakar groupset, lots of design similarities.... noticably the shifters.

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Sim ... _1989.html

and champfering the bottom bracket is easy with the correct tool, I borrowed one from a LBS

retrobikeguy":1p01ntmk said:
ibbz":1p01ntmk said:
Thanks so much -

Thank you sir,

Simplex made a lot of old roadie stuff WBITD, the Mtb kit never really took off but its obovious that much of it was used in the mavic Dakar groupset, lots of design similarities.... noticably the shifters.

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Sim ... _1989.html

and champfering the bottom bracket is easy with the correct tool, I borrowed one from a LBS
Thank you!

This was outed a few months a go on the ebay thread, it was a bare metal frame as seen in the picures below and covered in tatty old campagnolo, from the images it looked like a nice clean well built frame that needed finishing, I couldnt help myself and pulled the trigger, being the only bidder helped, The seller dropped it off that weekend and I squirreled it away from her indoors so I didnt get an ear bashing.

I dragged it out of hiding a few weeks later and stripped all the campag off the sell and recoupe some cash and upon removing the chainset found some chainsuck that had gone clean through the chainstays :( and a small crack on the seatpost clamp, I couldnt be bothered with contacting the seller to discuss it so off to the local frame guy for a bit of TLC,

Information about the store and builder seems thin on the ground and so far I only have what was first indicated so any details that folk have about Cobra cycles would be helpful.

What we know so far

Built at Cobra cycles in Preston Lancashire.
Frame/fork No 74
Fillet brazed
built by Paul Riley who later moved to Hetchins

mQ8zd6ah.jpg

yPCBIaXh.jpg

olmEgFCh.jpg

More to foll

This was outed a few months a go on the ebay thread, it was a bare metal frame as seen in the picures below and covered in tatty old campagnolo, from the images it looked like a nice clean well built frame that needed finishing, I couldnt help myself and pulled the trigger, being the only bidder helped, The seller dropped it off that weekend and I squirreled it away from her indoors so I didnt get an ear bashing.

I dragged it out of hiding a few weeks later and stripped all the campag off the sell and recoupe some cash and upon removing the chainset found some chainsuck that had gone clean through the chainstays :( and a small crack on the seatpost clamp, I couldnt be bothered with contacting the seller to discuss it so off to the local frame guy for a bit of TLC,

Information about the store and builder seems thin on the ground and so far I only have what was first indicated so any details that folk have about Cobra cycles would be helpful.

What we know so far

Built at Cobra cycles in Preston Lancashire.
Frame/fork No 74
Fillet brazed
built by Paul Riley who later moved to Hetchins

mQ8zd6ah.jpg

yPCBIaXh.jpg

olmEgFCh.jpg

More to follow
Very interested in this frame builder. I have A Cobra with frame O1 but this is the first time I've seen another. I bought it from a neighbout years ago who like to collect interesting bikes and parts but other than ther frame number I dont know anything aout these frames. He put on some fibreglass forks but told me to keep hold of the originals. Any info would be great.

Back