Clubbytrails 2019 - Strade Be-Manky. Sun April 28th. 9.30

Re: Clubbytrails 2019 - Strade Be-Manky. Sunday April 28th.

Sharron had visitors round this afternoon, so I retreated through to the office to play about with the route mapping software.

Got a masterplan worked out at 47 miles with plenty of options for short cuts or easier options. Multiple options for cake stops. Lots of "gravel" and unsurfaced tracks, most of them I've ridden, so I may head out to recce a few just to see what I'm getting us all into.
Angus Council has also done a lot of work with their Core Paths Plan and have published a guide to unmarked rights of ways and paths. Some stuff I must have passed by hundreds of times without realising where they link to. Lots to explore while I'm unable to stray too far from home.

I've no objection to hike a bike to link up paths or getting my feet wet.

epicyclo":2s5h56gg said:
I've no objection to hike a bike to link up paths or getting my feet wet.

Steady on Brian!!! :shock: this isn't the Highlands you know! It's slightly more civilised around here, we use bridges to cross water features (although admittedly it gets progressively less civilised the closer you venture to Dundee :LOL:).

jimo746":3pi639ct said:
(although admittedly it gets progressively less civilised the closer you venture to Dundee :LOL:).

It’s ok, we stay mostly in Angus. Mostly.

Re:

Count me in for the moment, need to consult my events Secretary (SWMBO) :)

Edit: I have received permission, now need to drag something out of shed !

Re:

unfortunately my breezer is currently in bits as the 8 speed drivetrain has given up the ghost. rental hoose taking up a lot of time at the moment so not sure if I'll have time to get a 9 speed replacement.

also would commuter tyres cut it on this epic?

ps im only thinking of cumming to get a look at Robs arse to be honest. :shock: :facepalm:

Re: Re:

keithyr":wvgg9ig2 said:
would commuter tyres cut it on this epic?

I’m imagining Epicyclo will be turning up on 19c track tyres just to make things more interesting, so commuting tyres would be fine.
Worst tracks will be wet grassy stuff. Maybe.

keithyr":18c3tlgd said:

They'll be fine. I'll be riding on WTB Horizon tyres, which are just fat slicks anyway.

clubby":18c3tlgd said:
Mostly..... Maybe.....

Are you getting indecisive in your old age? Or is it sleep deprivation? :LOL:

jimo746":2uttp4w1 said:
Are you getting indecisive in your old age? Or is it sleep deprivation? :LOL:

Not sure, both, possibly neither. :D

Fat Slick, can we please make that Keith's new nickname! :LOL:

Out for another recce ride this afternoon, this time to the section that concerned me most, as it was basically a field track between two farms. A bit lumpy bumpy, but as long as it doesn't rain non stop for the next two weeks it'll be ok.
You'll definitely be fine Keith. Volume will be more important than chunky tread on the kind of tracks we'll be on and much faster on the road sections.

Route coming together nicely. Lots of options in the latter third depending on legs.

clubby":387cuck0 said:
keithyr":387cuck0 said:

I’m imagining Epicyclo will be turning up on 19c track tyres just to make things more interesting, so commuting tyres would be fine.
Worst tracks will be wet grassy stuff. Maybe.

I'll turn up on something. The question is "What something?"

It may be the bastard offspring of the miscegenation going on in my attic between the soon_to_be_culled parts pile that has already produced 2 complete bikes.

I did think of tubulars but I do have a set of fat slicks - 4" slicks

Or it may be the rare but scabby Dawes Windrush frame which I discovered in said pile. A bike purpose built for the rough stuff in the 1950s, so the proto-gravel bike. (It's only a frame at the moment and I'm busy trying various combinations of 650b rims and tyres in the hope of squeezing something with a bit more volume into it.)

Edit: It may even be this, currently sporting the on_the_way_ to_the_tip 650B wheels Jamie gave me. Robmac will recognise the frame.

Back