Clive Stuart Restoration

Re: Re:

Old Ned":3ihfkwas said:
Similar numbering system as well. So, the question is, is this a CS numbering, an Alec Bird numbering - or something else?

I'm unable to comment on Clive Stuart numbering, as it doesn't mirror the numbering I've seen on Ken Bird frames.

Some CSs were built by Alec Bird, and Ken Bird's frames were built by both AB and Bill Philbrook - those built by BP have a"secret"identifier*, and the KBs built by AB are numbered in an equally idiosyncratic manner.

Alec also built frames with his own name.

Rk.

P.S quoting this post simply because it raises the numbering issue.
P.P.S I am in touch with Ken Bird's son Simon who has been very helpful in the restoration of my own Bird.

Sweet. I like the rear placed head logo on seat tube. Careful clamping on new soft paint. What is your build plan?

Re:

Thanks. It's not clamped, just gently supported there.
It will have a traditional look, although there's no more Super Record going on it, I'm afraid! but with a modern 10 speed Shimano 105 drivetrain, brakes, hubs & clipless pedals because I'm planning to get some use out of it. Everything's either here or on order, except the stem. Still looking for a Cinelli 1a 100mm quill stem - may have to go for a new one.

Re:

Finished and ready to ride again. Will wait for some nice weather first though!

Attachments

• Finished Feb 2015 med.jpg
    Finished Feb 2015 med.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 539
Lovely, nicely done. A classic frame and look with a modern drivetrain. Care to share your component list? I'd be interested in your riding impressions.
Best, cy

Ok, here goes:

Campag Super Record headset & seatpost.
Shimano 105 5800 hubs 32h on Mavic Open Sport rims
Panaracer Pasela PT 700 x 23 tyres
Shimano Tiagra 12-30 cassette
Shimano Tiagra compact chainset & bb (Stronglight outer ring for traditional look)
Shimano 105 5700 f&r mechs, chain, shifters & brakes.
Shimano R540 SPD-SL pedals
Montreal 100mm alloy stem, 26.0mm clamp.
Deda Piega compact 26.0mm, 46cm bars with anodizing removed from the untaped section.
Cinelli Gel tape.
SMP Extra saddle.

Think that's everything. The purists will hate it!

I was very pleasantly surprised to find a genuine original Clive Stuart sales brochure from the early 1970s on ebay. Arrived in the post today. :)

I'll scan it for the library.

Back