Cleland

Re:

That makes my ankles flinch.

Appears the chain guard might have been fitted upside down...

Let's hope for everyone's sake that it certainly has not been ridden in it's current configuration.

Ouch!

Yes...that chain guard is all over the place (like his typography :) ).

Looks like the lower section is plastic sheet, not the 4mm aluminium plate which it should be, since it's designed to take the bike and rider weight and stop logs lodging in the gap between chainring and rear tyre.
The top guard is way too tall.

Should look more like these ones:

All the best,

Attachments

• TonySilversAventura1982.jpg
    TonySilversAventura1982.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 337
  • Jan2015OSc.jpg
    Jan2015OSc.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 337
  • scan0038.jpg
    scan0038.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 337
Re: Re:

jimo746":22d1r65b said:
For any MTB/ATB and especially for a Cleland this bit makes me sad...
It has never been ridden off-road - at least not in it's current incarnation

:(
Looking at the way that the front hub brake is attached to the fork blade makes me glad that this bike has not been ridden in its "current incarnation"

The hub brake is the correct 'Leleu' floating input cam type originally fitted to the Aventura, however it a type used on mopeds that is not fitted with a brake reaction arm. The correct brake-plate had a reaction arm that took the reaction forces to a braze-on fitted 130mm up the fork leg. Even then, under heavy braking, there have been instances where the fork rake on that side has straightened.

The brazed-on connection on this bike must be about 30mm from the wheel axle centre and so the reaction force that applies there will be about 4.3 X the magnitude of the 130mm connection point. Also the force applies as a point where the fork blade is thinner and so far less able to resist.

Under heavy braking, the braking reaction forces will create a large 'moment' at the point of least resistance on the fork leg, just above the braze-on. I would therefore expect the end of the fork leg to jack-knife dramatically down and backwards or maybe even shear off if the brake was applied hard at speed.

The easy solution would be to use an original brake-plate with its 130mm reaction arm. However, these are extremely difficult to get hold of and I don't have any spare ones. Alternatively, you could fit a rear hub 'Leleu' brake-plate by adding a linkage to make it fit a 130mm braze-on.

There are also other solutions that have been successfully used by Highpath Engineering.

I know the current owner and have made him aware of the problem. I am keen that this is sorted out before the bike is sold. Or at least that any buyer is fully aware of the issue.

Attachments

• s-l1600b.jpg
    s-l1600b.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 328
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 328
Re:

This is what the bike would have looked like in the 1980s.

You can see the long hub-brake reaction arm at the front and where the short arm rear one attaches to the seat stay.

These bikes were only produced from late 1982 to mid 1984. There were two designs of fork crown used and most of the components used remained the same through out this time. Exceptions were the early bikes used Hurret Duopar rear derailleurs were later ones used the first generation Shimano Deore XT (DearHead) Group-set. The correct handle-bars are the aluminium CW mini-bars which have a 6 inch rise.

I am happy to send original transfer sheets and templates of the original bash-plate and chain-guard shapes to restorers as well as to help with the sourcing of spares and original parts.

Attachments

• Cleland bike.JPG
    Cleland bike.JPG
    440.2 KB · Views: 311
Back