Cleland Highpath Birthday Ride - Wendover??

legrandefromage":vsbh0s4a said:
Green thing of no longer a mystery fettled and ready for action, Sir!

SA brakes useless - check

Mudguard broken - check

Cheap Shimano cassette worn - check
Good to hear that you are signing up for the expedition Private Cheese :cool:

That's Seven RetroBikers signed up so far.
Including General Apps. And a few non RetroBikers are also hoping to make it.

Here's are a few items from my own checklist:
*No cycle helmet - check (Though if you do wear a helmet we recommend MIPS or PITH)

*Ancient inner-tubes filled with: thorn holes, green gunk and solid lumps of puncture sealant
- check

*Seized rear wheel bearings so that I can't catch up inbetween tyre deflations - check

*Heavy duty bicycle pump fitted with cooling fins so that it doesn't overheat from constant use - check

*A back to front handlebar stem because it looks wrong - check.

Oops!...
No, that's the old checklist from the last 'Gates Ride'.

Maybe this time I should just bring a bike that I have bothered to test ride beforehand. :facepalm: .

Local trail conditions are not that muddy at the moment and the weather forecast for Sunday is dry and overcast. Temperature about 8 degrees C. Don’t forget to bring cycle lights. This is in case Geoff follows tradition and extends the ride and the final downhill slightly beyond sunset. We usually return to the pub in Wendover somewhere around 5pm. is

This years ride is dedicated to the memory of Steve Chantler who died as a result of an accident at home on the 2nd of July 2013.
Steve was a regular of the old school Wendover rides, Guildford Gambles, Newbury 'Bunny Bashes', as well as many other rides both recent and old. He was a warm hearted enthusiast of all things cycling. And in particular a fan of Clelands. His pride and Joy being his collection of Cleland and Highpath bikes. Many of which he rescued at a time when these British mountain bikes were little known, and so missing from the History of mountain biking. He was also involved with the CTC and RSF and a keen cycle trader, setting up his stall at many UK cycle meetings.

This year he will be missed, though he will still be riding with us in spirit.
And after three decades of regularly riding these woods, he can now rest in peace. Whilst we struggle on relentlessly through the mud.

Attachments

• R0013912.jpg
    R0013912.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,142
  • R0013913.jpg
    R0013913.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,142
  • Stephen Chantler  1954-2013.jpg
    Stephen Chantler 1954-2013.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,142
Just arrived back in the Scottish Borders after a most splendid ride in excellent company. I was most impressed by the adventurous spirit of the group, which graciously followed me when I occasionally wandered off-piste, showing considerable skill, and most importantly, a 'Cleland' attitude.
We had to stop quite frequently to wait for Steve's ghost to catch up, he never was a rider to go fast.
Thanks to the group, this'll keep me going for another year...

Well the 31st annual Cleland ride is over and legrandfromage has returned home to strip down his green mystery machine in order to get all of the Chiltern mud out of the workings. This was a classic old school Cleland ride, where the aim is not going fast or far, but just staying on the bike in the hope that you and it would survive long enough to make it back to Wendover. It started of quietly enough with a ride along the Wendover arm of the Grand Union canal followed by a steady climb from Halton in the vale of Aylesbury to the the cafe in the woods near Aston hill, the highest point in the Chiltern Hills, for tea and flapjack.
Moving on Geoff was soon trailblazing in between the trees. No trail, no path, and no idea if we would get through or end up trapped in an impenetrable thicket without a machete.

See an earlier trailblazing video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbWuIHESe5M

After riding in the this area the week before I had said that the mud wasn't bad by historical standards. And that was true but we found plenty non the less. Mostly narrow trails where you could either ride the tightrope of the Landrover ruts or the gloopy quagmire in between. Meanwhile Danson67 found a good method of testing the depth of the mud, that involved sinking his front wheel in it all the way up to the axle. And we even threw in a few styles and gates especially for legrandfromage as he is an expert at negotiating these. We eventually arrived at the pub by about 3pm where I carried out a classic repair on the 2 inch long split in my rear tyre sidewall with the help of a plastic freezer bag kindly donated by Andyz. Andy is voted as 'man of the ride for A) putting up with this lunacy. and B) Riding all day without a sprung saddle and on narrow high pressure tyres because its 700c rims, where too big for the bike. These rims were put on the bike by its previous owner, Steve Chantler (deceased). Probably as some form of practical joke, along with the zero off-set forks. Despite this Andy trail-blazed and mud plugged just as if his Cleland had been designed that way.

Perhaps 29er wheels on 650b bikes with straight, no off-set forks will be the future of mountain bike design?

As the last of the Winter light faded we set off from the pub.

Did we go another way to avoid the mud we had encountered when we came? No!
Did we turn off our headlights as Geoff suggested so that we could not see where we were going? Yes.
Did most of us get stuck and fall off? Yes.
Did Geoff just plough on regardless on his bicycle equivalent of a tractor, the Cleland TT? You bet?

Was the experience of rising through thick mud in the pitch dark fun and memorable? Strangely, Yes!

And what of Cleland old school rider James Walters, who I haven't mentioned so far? Well he just took all of this in his stride. As like me, he has been doing these rides for nearly 30 years. And will no doubt be back for more next year.

You could join us too!

Like legrandfromage, all you need is an old bike that you are happy to rebuild!
Or a Cleland!

I think the freezer bag came from Danson67, not me. :)

Is it customary to wash a Cleland, or just leave the mud to dry and fall off? I hope the latter, as that was my preferred course of action! :oops:

Many thanks for all the fun,

Andrew

Certainly, an intentional and essential component of a 'modern' Cleland is that it need never be cleaned. In reality, of course, it is a good idea, from time to time.
The original Clelands, due to the available componentry at the time, should have a minimal clean, mainly around the transmission.
Personally, I like to see my bike with months of built-up dirt on it and still working perfectly.

Is it customary to wash a Cleland, or just leave the mud to dry and fall off?
Drying off nicely as we speak :D

All the best,

Attachments

• 2013-12-01 11.12.48.jpg
    2013-12-01 11.12.48.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 2013-12-01 13.41.41.jpg
    2013-12-01 13.41.41.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,059
  • 2013-12-01 14.15.39.jpg
    2013-12-01 14.15.39.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,059