Claud Butler Dalesman 1981 - after 1 week

olduser1":2ils8ap0 said:
There's a local bike jumble coming up, so out of curiosity what are the options for Campag components - brakes & touring chainset.

I just need to get this upgrade option out of my system.

Went out again on the Dalesman in the Sun yesterday, just right.

I would forget about Campag on this bike. If you were really lucky some long reach nutted Record/Victory/Triomphe brakes might just have enough reach but probably not. You'll need to measure the drop on the existing ones to know for sure. As for retro Campag touring chainsets it's Victory/Triomphe doubles but they only go down to 35t inner rings (I think). I'd stick to what you've got - it's classic touring gear, in fact maybe even get rid of that Campag rear mech and replace it with a Suntour Cyclone GT.

Mark.

I really think you would have a problem finding Campag brakes of that period with long enough drop (from centre bolt to rim centre) on them. They were all made for tight clearance frames. If there were any made with longer drop, I don't see them around.

Likewise, pre-85 Campag chainsets have a BCD of 144, which restricts them to a 42 smallest chainring. Not ideal for touring. Nor for one's twilight years (in my case), which is why I have been moving over to more modern chainsets... There were some triples made, but again you don't see them around very often. You might have more luck with a Victory, which has a smaller BCD:

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... &AbsPos=46

--- would match the rear mech as well. Slightly later than the frame, but not much.

^^ great minds, etc... I agree with Mark that it would be appropriate to swap in a Suntour rear mech. They had a patented parallelogram design at the time which made them superior to Campag and Shimano. As soon as the patent expired, the latter started to use the design (and shift better). Old Campag mechs look lovely, but old Suntour shifts better, especially over wide-range freewheels.

As it happens I have a lovely long cage Cyclone, so let me know if you decide to try that route.

Nick

Back