Children on bikes...

messiah":2kvveqjf said:
My eldest came out a few times in a child seat. He was fine and enjoyed it when awake or asleep but if he woke up mid ride he could get upset - not good when about 30mins from home. When number two came along 18 months later rather than try to take two kids I decided it was better to spend quality time playing with the kids and quality time riding my bike on my own rather than trying to mix the two. Subsequently my youngest has never been in the child seat.

I have a Burley trailer I was given which for the same reasons remains unused. I have however rented one when in Aviemore and it was a barrel of fun for the whole family because of the lovely trail network and Lochs to stop at (Cheers to Bothy Bikes).

I think it depends where you live and how you want to ride. I was never happy with the kids so exposed on the road, and any offroad around here is either tame fireroad or scary singletrack. Tame fireroad would be boring for the boys as it's all in the forest with no views and nowhere to stop.

With hindsight I would not have bought the seat or accepted the free trailer which clogs my garage.

Recently tried the eldest (3-1/2) on a tag-along at Aviemore and I think his mouth hurt almost as much as mine from all the grinning - it was brilliant. Bothy bikes had a double tag-along which I look forward to hiring next year. Not sure I want one here where I live but for holiday it was ace.

I think my seat is a Hamax Sleepy - it was great when we used it.

:D great stuff, we should be up at Aviemore quite often and sounds like another excuse to go into bothy bikes :LOL:

heathy":8sxyx17j said:
Hamax sleepy, thats the 1 we have, it can be reclined.

Heathy, did the attachment method give you any concerns?

The seat I had was OK. Boy twin loved it, girl twin didn't like it at all daddy. It had a gurt great clamp that was fine on my nuclear proof Saracen but I don't think I would like to put it on a P21 or similar.

kaiser":29b0jtdw said:
:D great stuff, we should be up at Aviemore quite often and sounds like another excuse to go into bothy bikes :LOL:

It's a great shop, I wish it was more local to me but since the boys came along we end up staying in Aviemore two or three times a year... and I always take a bike :D

Holidaying is Aviemore with kids is great :cool:

messiah":3tdvpt8r said:
kaiser":3tdvpt8r said:

It's a great shop, I wish it was more local to me but since the boys came along we end up staying in Aviemore two or three times a year... and I always take a bike :D

Holidaying is Aviemore with kids is great :cool:

Never managed to take the bike last time, but shall be from now on. Funnily enough there was a rather lovely Dave Lloyd outside bothy bike when I was there.(not yours though)

I put my little girl in a weeride seat at about 18 months, I seriously recommend these as its a front mounted seat that has a full harness, plus you shield her with your arms if it looks like your coming off, and best of all because she was at the front i could chat to her about where we was going and the things we saw. Sadly she grew out of it last year and i sold on the seat.

DSC00005-1.jpg

Photo-0023.jpg

kaiser":3pv0xjn8 said:
heathy":3pv0xjn8 said:
Hamax sleepy, thats the 1 we have, it can be reclined.

Heathy, did the attachment method give you any concerns?

Kaiser, the only concern i have is the way it rubs the tyre on big bumps, other than that no, it's fine.
Next time i use it i might put it higher.

Seen a guy with his young kid on one of those crossbar seats holding onto the bars helping his dad turn on the final red graded descent of Glentress :shock: :shock: :shock:

Kid was loving it, giggling like a maniac :D :cool:

Kaiser I have a kids seat available - I didn't use it until they were 1 year old but it is yours next time we meet if you want it. It's a halfords branded Hamax one (not the recliner).

I'd rather it was used than sitting in the shed taking up space. Fair nick and once they are older (about 2) you can bungee it to you seatpost and offroad with it. (The bungees get round most of heathy's issues.)

There are also the LOCT seats for full sussers, but they are for slightly older kids http://www.loct.co.uk/

Back