Chas Roberts 51 cm racer - Columbus EL and Campy Chorus

J-P

Retro Newbie
Going on EBay tonight - https://ebay.us/VuKI8q

Resto project or source of some great parts

Chas Roberts custom road racer Columbus EL/Campy Chorus classic '90s 51cm frame. SEIZED SEAT PILLAR. I have WD40'd this and am trying to free it up, will edit the posting if I manage before sale.

Hand built in Croydon for racing in the mid-'90s - raced and ridden over 3-4 years. Bike was supplied in this highly original colour scheme, a replica of a colour sample frame they had in the workshop at the time. Been in long term storage since then.

Componentry looks in very good nick for its age, certainly not worn out and very suitable for classic bike builds of the era. Frame is straight and only a few rust spots (I've tried to picture the worst, on the chainstays). However, there is a long, narrow scratch/dent under the middle of the top tube (pictured - the underside of the red tube) - this occurred during a low-speed collision with a child's bike in a park in Madrid once. The bike was ridden again a fair bit after that, doesn't seem to have affected strength or alignment, but these are thin tubes and there is some corrosion visible.

Frame: Columbus EL oversize
Forks: Original Columbus EL
Crankset: Campy Chorus 170mm 53/39
Front and rear derailleurs: Campy Chorus
Chain: SRAM slotted lightweight
Rear cassette: Campy Chorus 12-23 9 speed
Brakes: Campy Chorus dual pivot (brake blocks quite worn)
Levers: Campy Chorus carbon body ergopower 9 spd (one of the cable release buttons for wheel changing is very stiff)
Handlebars & stem: 3TTT (9 cm stem 40cm bars)
Wheels: hand built by Harry Roland, Mavic Reflex 32H rims on Chorus hubs, good quality double butted spokes
Bottom Bracket: Chorus
Pedals: Shimano PD6500 single sided SPD
Seatpost: SEIZED - I think this was a Campy aluminium item, Chorus or possibly even Record
Saddle: Fizik ladies
Tyres: unused blue Continental GP Attack (22mm) and Force (23mm)

Attachments

• IMG_3360 sm.jpg
    IMG_3360 sm.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 256
Back