Chain sticking to chainring?

The thickness of the Middleburn outer ring is greater than the original Shimano one.

This effectively paces the inside of the outer ring closer to the chain when it is running on the midle ring. The ramps and pins on the outer Middleburn ring are snagging on the chain causing the issue you mention, particularly when using the 'small' end of the cassette.

Solution....

1 Change the outer ring back to Shimano [preffered option]

2 put a small spacer on the outside of the middle and inner rings - this will put a bit more space between the outer and middle ring.

I had the same issue some time ago....

Hope this helps.

Chaser.

Re: Shimano rings

Wold Ranger":3f1sckku said:
Shimano do Aluminium outer and inner rings, but nearly always do Steel middles as this is the one that gets the hammer. Only XTR were Aluminium on a few models.

The stock at my LBS says otherwise. I can go in there right now and get the part numbers if you want (well tomorrow anyway). They have LX and XT rings in alu, Deore and lower in steel. :)

could we have a pic

i can see it being a simple matter of rasping the tops of the teeth with a file or letting the chain break in

Its the teeth.

Having had a close inspection I am convinced its just the height of the deepest teeth at the start/finish of the ramped section. Also the inside face of the tooth just on those teeth is verticle rather than pointed. I'm going to use it on the turbo trainer to see if a bit of use sorts it before i 'adjust' it with a file.

Back