Chain length and powerlink Q

Splatter Paint":17kfictd said:
Is that front chainring dished? If so can you take it off the cranks and re-fit it the other way around? This would improve the chain line.

Nah, you can't flip the ring :(

id go with a 110 bb . it wont touch , mine doesnt

go with the shorter chain

put plenty of tape around the bb shell so when you take it for a spin and try 1st if the chain drops it wont scratch the lovely paint

if it does you might have to go with a spider and ring and space the extra there . if you dont want to do that maybe limit the mech and forget about the largest sprocket , who needs a ratio that low anyway :LOL:

although i generally dont like not having any kind of chain retention . when your giving the beans over loose rocks and such and the chain flaps around it doesnt take much for it to lift off the chainring . also why i go with as tight a chain as i can get away with

to stop the cable fraying before you want to commit and put on an end use superglue on the last inch or so

perry":3791lms6 said:
id
to stop the cable fraying before you want to commit and put on an end use superglue on the last inch or so

That sounds a good tip - fraying cables are the bane of my life at times .

Thanks Perry et al
CRC still have 107 BB's and I reckon it might just do it...I'll measure again.
I have a chain guide on order from the States that should do the trick :)
and the cable and outer is just for the mock-up....I have a better one ready.
Once again...thanks for your help...appreciated

Definitely the shorter of the 2 chain lengths, it looks spot on lengthwise

You can use any powerlink (Sram, KMC...) with any chain so long as it's the same speed.

I always run the chain like your first (short chain) photos.

Why carefully remove weight and then leave on a whole load of unnecessary and heavy steel chain links?

Thanks again everyone.
I will use the shorter and have a KMC powerlink thingy.
Shifting is shite at the moment but I have just bunged on an old cable and old LX shifter.
Waiting for the Paul Components Chain Keeper to arrive and still hunting for a nice 9 shifter.
Happy days
Cheers
Carl

Latest posts

Back