Cassette spacers 8speed on 9 speed hub

Charlieboy28":2bh922fe said:
Antfox":2bh922fe said:
What's an 739 ? Shifters or mech ?

Sorry these shimano numbers are all new to me :(

I have the xt 8 speed mech , no shifters yet so I may sell this cassette off cheap as its missing one ring, great condition

m739 is a shimano xt series number,

have a look her it will make more sense

http://mombat.org/Shimano.htm

my point was a supposedly designated 8 speed rear mech such as the xt m739, will work quite happily with a 7,8,9 or indeed 10 speed cassette.

its is the shifters and the cassette which decide how many speed bike it is not the mech, so your shifters and cassette must be the same speed.

seeing as you have an 8,9,10 speed rear hub( all the same) you can either go 8,9, or even ten speed. seeing as it is retrobike and you already have the hub,8 speed might be your best bet

You can't use the 10 speed shimano mtb shifters. All their 10 speed mtb stuff has a different cable pull ratio. Shimano road 10 speed flat bar shifters would work though.

Plus, you'd need a 9 speed chain for a 9 speed set-up. This would also work on 8 speed but an 8 speed chain won't work on 9. 8 speed chains are dead cheap - KMC are about £6 on ebay whereas a 9 speed is at least a tenner. 8 speed 11-28 or 11-30 cassettes give you a good range of gears.

Mystery solved , I found an extra sprocket in my bits box today so I know have a 9 speed cassette :)

I have also found a onza porc box , and a shed load of original shimano manuals te ones you get that are folded to the size of a 5 pound note , loads of other bits n bobs too ill be listing soon

Back