Cassette play, spacers and freehub question

gibbon_rider

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Evening all,

I've just built up a TNT rear hub for the first time, and I was finding the indexing for the gears impossible to get quite accurate enough. When I had a poke around, I found the cassette had a significant amount of play in it. The hub is originally an 8 speed hub (according to bikepro) and it's a 9 speed cassette (M770) so that I can run M952 rear mech and shifters. I always thought they were interchangeable, and so I don't think the issue is with the freehub - but correct me if I'm wrong.

The cassette was originally on a more modern Hope hub, and locks down fine on that, so I don't think the issue is with the cassette either. All spacers indicated in the Shimano user manual are present and correct.

But when installed on the TNT hub, the lockring is tight yet the cassette is wobbling around like my drunk uncle.

Could there be anything else to check? Something else going wrong? Does anyone have any experience of fixing something like this? Do I just need some sort of spacer to get the freehub to tighten down on the cassete? And if so, where do I get one and where do I install it?

I'm pretty stuck at the minute as it turns out a rear cassete is pretty fundamental to being able to move anywhere on a bike...

Thanks for any help you can give!

It sounds like you need a cassette spacer. Some freehubs already have them fitted, some don't. An lbs should have plenty but if you need one, I can pop one in the post.

Back