Carlton frame? Help please!

Re:

I could settle for that for sure. It's not as though i'm going to sell it. My plan is to restore it as closely as possible to original and use it as my winter tourer. Just wish I had that serial number somewhere on the bike! Many thanks for your help.

Re: mercian confirmed

Hi folks,

For those still interested mercian think it is a Mercian campionissimo. I'm just waiting to hear whether a frame can escape the workshop without a number and what decade they think it's from.

Many thanks for your help. Now the fun part.....restoration!

Gerald

I'd be interested to know the decade :). Frames did escape from the workshops without numbers for a variety of reasons.

Shaun

Re:

Reassuring to know, in a way, as obviously it's the key part of frame ID. Still their email is as good as...

As soon as I hear from them i'll post the info.

Re: Mercian

I'm pretty sure they went through a phase of building for other bespoke firms in the 70's and 80's. Not sure how they would have numbered those.

Re:

Hi folks, come to the end of the road with Mercian. They consider it to be from the 60's-70's, a Campionissimo. In terms of no serial number being present they think it's been rubbed off over the years. Can't say i'm 100% convinced, but maybe that's as far as I can go.

Many thanks for all your help.

Gerald

The paucity of braze one makes it early 1970's. It was a mixture of fashion and penny pinching because of the economic climate which was pants.

Shaun

Back