Carlton Criterium 1972

I'll get some dims tomorrow the bikes are at the other house. The bottom bike is a 1962 Constellation with a vey fragile paint finish known as Acrylichrome - acrylic transparent paint on chrome. Looks wonderful, chips like buggery. My Criteriums are 10 speed, however I have a 5-speed Corsa - Ill measure that.

Please don't let me twist your arm, but I maybe in a minority here, where I feel that something slightly worn, pre-loved and with a few battle scars looks the part, looks better and looks of its time. Im sick of seeing forensically prepared and presented Italian bikes on this site, promptly hung on a wall with some other pointless memorabilia!

here is the Corsa I;ll measure up, this is the type of Chainset that was prevalent at the time...

PA190197_zpsfe2af923.jpg

This frame looks OK, but it has a few surface marks etc, its been carefully T-cut and polished...

Spokesmann":26u5bstr said:
I'll get some dims tomorrow the bikes are at the other house. The bottom bike is a 1962 Constellation with a vey fragile paint finish known as Acrylichrome - acrylic transparent paint on chrome. Looks wonderful, chips like buggery. My Criteriums are 10 speed, however I have a 5-speed Corsa - Ill measure that.

Please don't let me twist your arm, but I maybe in a minority here, where I feel that something slightly worn, pre-loved and with a few battle scars looks the part, looks better and looks of its time. Im sick of seeing forensically prepared and presented Italian bikes on this site, promptly hung on a wall with some other pointless memorabilia!

You know what, I've pondered enough and you make sense.
A resprayed bike while looking good loses something in the transformation.
Thanks!

I will stick to an original BB - cottered. SO wondering whether to service the one fitted or buy another???

I've now sourced all the parts bar the wheels and I reckon it will be all done by next week.
I bought a 49T 116 BCD 3 pin stronglight type steel ring (same as on your Corsa) to replace the 40T one I have (I have the same cranks as you - original I think) - should receive by Monday

IMG_5828.jpg

57_5.jpg

The Suntour Mech, Suntour rear mech guard and Power Shifter

57_6.jpg

57_7.jpg

57_8.jpg

Some stuff is in the post to me. All will then be autosol'd, polished and then fitted once gleaming.

So need GB Stem, brakes and Calipers, Carlton hoods, short mudguards, and of course the wheels!

Any idea which rear Gear hanger I should get?
And which particular GB stem?

The Stem is a sticking point.

Well, the bike is about finished now, been daily work and I've spent a lot of time, work, effort and money on it.
Starting a build thread next couple of days after taking some final pictures, and have been photo documenting the build so far. So expect a full detailed summary!
Kept the original patina and its looking sweet!

I think it's a '73 and not a '72 but it's in the '72 catalogue.

Back