Carlton Criterium 1972

Bought it! The seller agreed to sell me the frame and fork set! So here's to a Carlton Criterium build and a new owner!

Seen this one a few time before... Lovely model, hope it can be restored back to proper condition i.e. gears! Nice buy.

Spokesmann":2ww1p0b3 said:
Seen this one a few time before... Lovely model, hope it can be restored back to proper condition i.e. gears! Nice buy.
Haha man that's first on my list, along with wheels.
Followed by stem and bars.

The sight of that with a fixed single freewheel is blasphemy.

I know some may find it silly and a waste but I've time and inclination to spec it up to the Equipe model - kind of.

Here's what to aim for...
1972Criterium.jpg

Spokesmann":1rj6g8i1 said:
Here's what to aim for...
1972Criterium.jpg
Thanks for that
I've noticed this frame lacks canti mounts so side pulls only I reckon. Whereas yours has the rear hanger.
I loved your builds man, they inspire!

What're your thoughts on Suntour components from 1973 ish?
The V Luxe rear mech? And the other parts?

I've an idea....

Suntour is fine. Not sure if you want to keep it original as possible. In which a Simplex set up is required.

Spokesmann":2nqciszx said:
Suntour is fine. Not sure if you want to keep it original as possible. In which a Simplex set up is required.

Ok been looking for some good nice examples
My concerns are with set up and maintenance - will a set of Simplex Prestige fare well after all these years? I notice the '75 Critter has a (superior?) Huret Svelto.
What gear lever would be specced?

I'm looking forward to seeing this project up n running and gotta agree with ibbz on it looking wrong as a ss and i'd personally stick with the idea of suntour and i'd be tempted to get matching paint for patching up the frame unless you've got a full resto planned ..

Muddy paw":mxa9toku said:
I'm looking forward to seeing this project up n running and gotta agree with ibbz on it looking wrong as a ss and i'd personally stick with the idea of suntour and i'd be tempted to get matching paint for patching up the frame unless you've got a full resto planned ..

Thanks man, I'm taking this one seriously, besides the fact that it's my first non MTB build, it's also some thing much more interesting than any MTB too, and the fact that it's the same age as me too!
It started off with a wish for an old skool racer to ride around but after reading and seeing the history and builds and renovations I think I will research and attempt to patch up the frame and source the colour.
I will of course start this thread properly in the next few days as a real build thread.

One part of me wants a catalogue spec but the other pragmatic side wants something durable and rideable and friendly so I reckon a period correct with as much original as possible and practicable - so I'm currently figuring out which rear mech, shifters and such to source so I'll have some questions on the main forum concerning This. I have a full set of Suntour F! r and hubs on my Dynatech and I've always had a soft spot for Suntour so it looks like a quest to get some period correct Suntour V Luxe/X with some 1972/3 Suntour shifters - I'm having trouble working out which model exactly would be right (Suntour Power??)
The next thing is to work out which bottom bracket - shall I service the Brompton one installed and stick with original cottered chainset (which I have) or a cotter less ?

Anyway pics and stuff later this week and any help appreciated!

Back