Carlton Constellation chrome restoration

Re: Carlton Constellation/Catalina chrome... Pictures now added

Stripped the frame down today, just one tricky cotter pin to deal with. Everything else OK. Under to insulating tape on the machine is virtually new chrome, some of the paint came away with this stuff, but not too much. I'll use some sort of white decal band to make sure the transitions from paint to chrome are neat. The frame must have looked stunning when new.

Dated the 48-tooth Williams chain set to 1962. (ZC marking).

Stripped the rest of the components of the frame today, just the forks to remove. Started to do an initial clean of components and the frame itself. Taken the perished tyres off - they had rubber flaking off them they were so gone. Will need new rim tape though. Both wheels are true, the front one having the faintest 'wobble' in it. I have also started the B15 saddle on a course of Proofide each day to get the leather in a presentable and usable condition before tensioning up again. Here are a few pictures form today...

Some of my components to choose from if necessary...
P6131160_zps8df6a365.jpg

Under the yellowed oil/grime the Williams Chainset in in top condition. Needs just one new cotter pin.
P6131161_zps4da28bff.jpg

Bits and bobs, with the BB bearings soaking in meths...
P6131162_zps2f05d7fb.jpg

The BB area has a lot of paint loss...
P6131163_zpsdccb8794.jpg

Im keeping the paint as is, its a shame the Acryllichrome finish was not more durable...

The saddle leather is starting to respond to some intense Proofide treatment...
P6131164_zpsc0598f1c.jpg

This is looking like a nice rebuild and another classic Carlton back on the road where it should be :)

Re:

Took the forks off today. Steering took one hell of an effort to loosen, in the end I resorted to strong arm tactics with the aid of vice and 30mm spanner. Clearly not been removed since the bike was built. Cleaned the frame down now so i can assess what I can do for it. Will no doubt be using a lot of aluminium foil on the chrome....

Some pics for them thats interested.

P6141201_zpscd0300db.jpg

P6141198_zps271eca40.jpg

The bottom bracket shell is stamped Nervex, no doubt alluding to the lug pattern used. The shell also has a grease nipple.

P6141196_zps41d93e6f.jpg

P6141195_zpsc0d035a7.jpg

Components suitably degreased, ready for further cleaning or polishing.
P6141193_zpsd3923427.jpg

Capella lugs on the headstock, very small frames used a cut down version of these.
P6141190_zpsd8597b31.jpg

This bugger shifted in the end. Wedging the forks in a vice and heaving on the lock nut did the trick...
P6141189_zpsa85ea877.jpg

More soon.

Re:

Hi Mike J,

That frame looks great , good luck with it.

please will you tell me what you use to wash it down .

Thanks, Regards

David

Re: Re:

DavidT":16v40ktq said:
Hi Mike J,

Thanks, Regards

David

Initial degrease with methylated spirit, then a good wash down with hot soapy water.

Re: Re:

DavidT":32niaqri said:
Hi Mike J,

Thanks, Regards

David

Initial degrease with methylated spirit, then a good wash down with hot soapy water.

I have decided to change the Simplex prestige rear mech and fit a vintage 1960s Huret Allvit to this build. Some of the graphics arrived today as well. Still much to do, although I have packed the BB shell with new grease now.

Back