Carlton age needed please

ian.allen2

Retro Guru
I have just bought a Carlton racer. I have been told it is from 1960, but when I looked up the serial number, I came up with age between 1951 and 1959. It does not hace a model name, but reynolds 531 frame 23". 27" wheels. Simplex front and rear derailleurs (toggle chain). Cinelli handlebars, Weinmann brakes type 730 front and rear, L. J. simplex on gear levers. It has Made in Worksop. The chain set is Williams. The seat is a leather Lycett. Sturmey Archer front wheel hub dynamo with SA lights (front switch under neath).

Re:

First, this is not and never was a racer.
It is a real Carlton, not a Raleigh impersonation. I guess 1955/57, and seems to have been built by the original owner by buying a frame and components to get the bike he could afford without paying purchase tax, so the complete bike will not be in any catalogues, but the frame might.
Some williams cranks and SA dynohubs bear a date code. The handlebars are not Cinelli, only the stem.

If I'd specifies it, I would have gone for a better saddle and cheaper stem fior the same price.
Keith

Re:

Thanks Keith. I was unsure about the handlebars but as I could not see a makers mark on them and only on the stem, I just assumed with the shape of the handlebars, trhey are not normal Carlton ot raleigh ones, but old, perhaps the same vintage as the bike. I still have not found a date anywhere on the bike.
Ian

Midlife":2baacx2e said:
Recognise that mech...........came out the year I was born IIRC...........1959 :)

Shaun

Thanks Shaun.
It is a strange mech to me. It looks a mess as it is dirty, but it works when the cable is pulled.

Ian

A very interesting mount with bags of character. It certainly looks like late 50s to me. Is there a letter prefix on the frame number which should be found on the rear non drive side stay/dropout? The components certainly all point to late 50s, possibly very early 60s. Im trying to make out the wording on the down tube decal but can quite see what it says, is it: Super Road?? Look forward to seeing this one cleaned up. Im not sure if that Lycett swallow saddle is salvageable though! Keep us posted.

ian.allen2":1tm3guuu said:
Midlife":1tm3guuu said:
Recognise that mech...........came out the year I was born IIRC...........1959 :)

Shaun

Thanks Shaun.
It is a strange mech to me. It looks a mess as it is dirty, but it works when the cable is pulled.

Ian

Its a 'dancing chain' type mech, very similar to the Cyclo Benelux gears of the same period.

Spokesmann":i0ei1bc0 said:
A very interesting mount with bags of character. It certainly looks like late 50s to me. Is there a letter prefix on the frame number which should be found on the rear non drive side stay/dropout? The components certainly all point to late 50s, possibly very early 60s. Im trying to make out the wording on the down tube decal but can quite see what it says, is it: Super Road?? Look forward to seeing this one cleaned up. Im not sure if that Lycett swallow saddle is salvageable though! Keep us posted.

Hi. The down tube decal says 'Super Race' and around the edge says 'Made in Worksop England'. The same sort of decals are on the front forks, but instead of super race, they have Carlton.
I will not be restoring this one. I dont have the space, time or money to do it at the moment. I also have a girls Raleigh bike which needs restoring. Both are on ebay. I have had a go at cleaning some rust off the wheels where I was looking for a makers mark, and they come up clean and quite shiney.
Ian

Shame you are selling it, that a really nice project to get into. Would have a bah myself only I have an ongoing project just now and far too many cartons already...

Back