Cantilever bolts …did I miss the memo?

Another one of those age old biking questions - why didn’t they stay with the cantis?
It’s as if every time someone has taken a set of cantis or V’s off a bike, they’ve looked at the freshly removed bolts in their hand and said to themselves “I can see no reason why these would ever be needed again, in the bin they go.”
I guess someone looked at them and said, "Nah mate... bolts just ain't bolts"

Do you mean something like this, although it would need to add a washer. Link is to a german shop but the shimano part number is there for both long and short versions, so you can find it locally

Is this what you are after?

IMG_20220409_160930_911.jpg

With chrome bolt and black washer? I checked and the heads are wider and taller a lot of the bolts available on the interwebs. I have a specialty machine hardware store near me, i might be able to drop in this week and see if they can match them to some EN bolt type.

They prefer to deal in large numbers, though. How many bikes worth are you looking for?

Yip that’s what I am after. If they have anything that would be great. If they are an exact match I’d go for a couple of hundred at least 👍

Last edited:
@Antstark, if it were so simple, you probably would have found them already. It's a "special bolt," which I guess we already knew.

The folks at the machine shop didn't have anything, and the closest M6 buttonhead bolt is an ISO 7380, which has a head diameter of 10.5 mm and head height of 3.3 mm. So c. 2 mm less than the original in both dimensions.

The Shimano bolt almost has the head of an M8 ISO 7380 (14mm x 4.3mm), but grafted onto an M6 shaft.

The retro game is both fun and frustrating.

@Antstark, if it were so simple, you probably would have found them already. It's a "special bolt," which I guess we already knew.

The folks at the machine shop didn't have anything, and the closest M6 buttonhead bolt is an ISO 7380, which has a head diameter of 10.5 mm and head height of 3.3 mm. So c. 2 mm less than the original in both dimensions.

The Shimano bolt almost has the head of an M8 ISO 7380 (14mm x 4.3mm), but grafted onto an M6 shaft.

I found it even harder trying to find a bolt for OnZa HO cantilevers - there's seemingly nothing out there with a head the same shape as they produced for those cantis!

Given that others have re-produced M900 mounting bolts, there's a good chance there is a 'business case' to re-produce other bike part specific bolts.

Thanks for trying mate....really appreciated

I have trawled the hardware and engineeering shops in previous years with the same result...thats why I asked again here.
I did find the right bolts for early MT60 Deore cantis...they were from a shop that did repro Harley Davisdon parts.

I agree there is probably a market for them but I wouldn't imagine a machine shop would want an order for less that a few 1000. Then they would need to be chrome plated which isn't cheap. Any budding engineers with contacts in China on here?

Back