Cantilever bolts …did I miss the memo?

I found it even harder trying to find a bolt for OnZa HO cantilevers - there's seemingly nothing out there with a head the same shape as they produced for those cantis!
Don't worry.....the HOs will have cracked way before you bolt them on anyway ;)
🤣

I found it even harder trying to find a bolt for OnZa HO cantilevers - there's seemingly nothing out there with a head the same shape as they produced for those cantis!

Given that others have re-produced M900 mounting bolts, there's a good chance there is a 'business case' to re-produce other bike part specific bolts.
I thought the same--either machining an M8 ISO 7380 to M6 or refinishing a Shimano Y-82N18800.

Or Alibaba here I come...

No worries, happy to help out.

They have been great in the past for stuff that is beyond the realm of a normal hardware store.

@Antstark Are these any good for you?
Thanks

The Halfords ones are just standard button bolts. I am looking for actual replicas of the Shimano originals (Size, finish etc) not just something to hold my canitis onto my frame.

Dear Shimano,

Let's be frank . . . you're big enough to take the criticism.

It might be hard to hear, but there are a whole bunch of us out there who really feel that you peaked in, let's just say for argument's sake, the early 90s, and would really appreciate it if you stopped/undid this annoying R&D thing that you have been doing in the years since, and pretty please just restart production on that totally non-standard M6 buttonhead hex bolt for cantilever brakes. You remember what cantis are, right? (I mean, it's almost like you went out of your way to make the bolt as non-standard as possible . . . ). And while you're at it, can you include a black, extra thick (non-standard) washer?

Just think about how much time, effort, and money you would have saved if you had just stopped before that whole rapid-rise debacle. But we don't need to bring that up now, too.

Yours truly,

An older mountain biker

Dear older mountain biker.

For some reason you're under the impression that our Research and Development department has something to do with making improvements to our equipment. This is not the case.

For many years the brief of the aforementioned department has been to limit the life span of components ( thus protecting revenue streams), whilst simultaneously creating non compatible technologies (again protecting our sales and profits).

Whilst we can't comment on the "rapid rise" debacle, we would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the unnecessary life span of our original equipment. The engineering quality was far too high and the level of compatibility with all other items on the market far to easy.

Please be assured in the future we will endeavour to produce poor quality, limited life span items, that have no chance of compatibility with last years output.

To this end, please see our latest offerings in our "semi internal gear hub" section of our website. This is bound to break with limited provocation and have no spares back up after 12 months.

Yours.

SHIMTOUR International.

Dear older mountain biker.

For some reason you're under the impression that our Research and Development department has something to do with making improvements to our equipment. This is not the case.

For many years the brief of the aforementioned department has been to limit the life span of components ( thus protecting revenue streams), whilst simultaneously creating non compatible technologies (again protecting our sales and profits).

Whilst we can't comment on the "rapid rise" debacle, we would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the unnecessary life span of our original equipment. The engineering quality was far too high and the level of compatibility with all other items on the market far to easy.

Please be assured in the future we will endeavour to produce poor quality, limited life span items, that have no chance of compatibility with last years output.

To this end, please see our latest offerings in our "semi internal gear hub" section of our website. This is bound to break with limited provocation and have no spares back up after 12 months.

Yours.

SHIMTOUR International.
Dear Shimano,

OMG, and here I was trying to be strong, and to not make this all about me.

But I knew it, you grafted the head of an M8 ISO 7380 onto the threads of an M6 ISO 7380 buttonhead hex bolt for cantilever brakes and spec'd a weird washer on purpose . . . to hurt me. And I bet it was the same when you suddenly decided to change those pull ratios, again! And when you created those STI brifter thingies--that was to force me to upgrade my brakes too, when I "upgraded" my shifters, wasn't it? I knew it.

Wow. Mad business props!

Older guy

Back