Cannondale M500

Johnny Crash

Dirt Disciple
I picked up a 1995 Cannondale M500 today. I've never owned an mtb before so this is all new to me. Plan is to keep it as original as possible and enjoy it.

b86f608cd6531c6988cc154f76341e112dce42d5.jpg

It's a time-warp bike, all original except for the stem (the original owner didn't like the position, changed the stem, still didn't like it and put it into the garage where it's been since 1995) and the tyres which were perished so new ones were put on to help with the sale. It even looks to have the original brake pads and cables and has all the original stickers on the frame and the rims. (Even the dealer sticker - Evans in Woking.)

My phone also chose today to stop working so I'll get some pictures of the actual bike up as soon as my new phone arrives. I'm just getting rid of some of the excitement of New Bike Day now.

I do need to change the seatclamp to a non QR so that young scallywags don't make off with the post & saddle so if anyone can suggest a suitable, period clamp to go with the rest of the bike that'd be great.

I am!

It's a Sameness stem which I think was made by Tange and then re-branded by various other companies.

In the meantime I have a Syncros stem to put on until I find one. The only other changes I'm making is removing all the quick releases for a bit of security and as the main use will be mainly paved routes/paths etc, a pair of Schwalbe City Jet tyres.

Re: Re:

MND":36jjl1tk said:
Looks very nice! I prefer that green to the blue in the stock picture.

It's a lovely colour although the blue does look better in real life than in the catalogue picture.

They're both quite common/classic Cannondale colours from that period - I've always ridden road and track bikes and the Cannondale Track of the era in blue has always been one that I'd loved to have owned.

Well, the stem and seat clamp arrived today and now it looks like this:

M5004_zpshenmjaxe.jpg

I'm a little annoyed as the stem didn't come with a top-cap. As it's unique to this stem, I thought the seller might have mentioned that...

I'll get it outside when the weather is a bit better and get some decent pictures - and then ride it of course!

Back