Cannondale dropout puzzle

Hattyfatner

Dirt Disciple
Afternoon All,

Transferring components from a 1.25 inch headset Cannondale frame to a 1 inch headset Cannondale frame, the 3.0 replacable hanger doesn't fit. So;

1. As I've polished off the serial number off the 1 inched headset frame what should I type into Google to find a suitable hanger for the 1 inch headset frame?

2. As I've access to a cnc machine would it be easier to make one?

3. Is the grade of aluminium different between the two frames?

This proberts been on the cards for years a few extra weeks won't hurt.

On an unrelated matter dies anodizing effect the strength of aluminium?

Many thanks

Hatty

Re:

Here's a handy link for the rear hangers Cannondale used. Just scroll down the page:

http://vintagecannondale.com/info/restoration/

I'm not sure whether you'll be able to order one from anywhere now, but at least you'll be able to see what it's meant to look like and have a part number to reference.
Making one is definitely an option, but your best bet would be an ask on here to see if someone has one in their spares box.

Cannondale did a 1" headset size in both the early models and later ones, but if you throw up a pic of the frame(s) someone will identify what you have.

All Cannondale are 6000 series aluminium as far as I know. Anodizing won't have any effect on strength so don't worry about that.

Does anodising affect the strength in what way?
The biggest risk is someone who doesn't know what they are doing, especially when stripping existing anodising.

Annodising is a dye.

Cannondale tubing is very thin in places and more harm is done by media blasting than anything else. I've seen holes where someone sandblasted a frame..:facepalm:

A late 1" headtube Cannondale of my very own:

Attachments

• caad2.jpg
    caad2.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 812
I have restored four frames over the years and found you could not rely on an individual frame having a year correct hanger.I think Cannondale used to use up existing stocks before swopping to a new standard.Careful measurement of existing drop out thickness and hole spacing is the way forward.

Qwerty Cycles is one starting point.

legrandefromage":bmsrawjg said:
Annodising is a dye.

Dye is only used to make the anodising coloured, you are trapping it within the Aluminium.
There's a lot more to it than just dye!

Rampage":2que8dor said:
legrandefromage":2que8dor said:
Annodising is a dye.

Dye is only used to make the anodising coloured, you are trapping it within the Aluminium.
There's a lot more to it than just dye!

No, its hours spent with a box of permanent markers.

frank.youngman":3vbofpt3 said:
I have restored four frames over the years and found you could not rely on an individual frame having a year correct hanger.I think Cannondale used to use up existing stocks before swopping to a new standard.Careful measurement of existing drop out thickness and hole spacing is the way forward.

Qwerty Cycles is one starting point.

Many thanks ordered a hanger for a pre 91 Cannondale frame - fingers crossed it'll be here for Wednesday to get it completed for next weekend :)

Back