Can you powdercoat alu frames?

I thought I read somewhere that on the one hand, the temperatures they sometimes use for powdercoating (as well as some of the techniques that they use for stripping) can damage an aluminium frame, so you need to go somewhere where they know what they're doing with cycle frames (as I'm sure you would anyway).

But on the other hand, provided they run the powdercoating at more moderate temperatures, it so happens that those temperatures actually aren't that far off what they would use for a heat treatment cycle on a recently welded frame. So the session in the paint oven could actually do the new weld some good.

But I am obviously not an expert, so I apologise if this isn't right, I just thought it might be something you might ask about.

Both 6061 and 7005 anneal at approximately 600 degrees F.

Powdercoaters use about 450 degrees max, and will actually stess relieve the heat affected zone. Left in the oven for too long, and the frame can even over age. ;)

Has anyone heard of chroming aluminium before powdercoating?

I've just been to a local powdercoater and he said that you'll get a better and much more durable finish if it's chromed first. I think he's had a lot of experience with motorbikes, maybe they need to be tougher?

beepbeep":3j6f8ngr said:
Has anyone heard of chroming aluminium before powdercoating?

I've just been to a local powdercoater and he said that you'll get a better and much more durable finish if it's chromed first. I think he's had a lot of experience with motorbikes, maybe they need to be tougher?
???????????

Why on earth would you chrome alum, and then paint it. Sounds like my old Powdercoater. He sell all kinds of treatments, like sandblast, Phosphate, Chem film, zinc plate, or de-ox, then as soon as you drove away it was spray and pray.

Twas my frame, I would simply soda blast and water rinse. The baking soda breaks down the oils and oxides and leaves it sqeaky clean.

Yeah, I thought it sounded a bit unusual.
Maybe his brother owns the chroming workshop that he suggested! :LOL:

He also said a good polish should do the trick (that'll keep me busy tonight), seemed like an ok guy though and he gave me a good price.

Back