Can someone help identify this frame?

Bennsylvania

Retro Newbie
Recently my beloved 1986(?) SM300 finally died...Cracked head tube.

Anyway, I just bought a used frame to transfer my components to. It was sold to me from Craigslist and touted as a Cannondale. Now the more I look at it, the more I am skeptical. I don't recognize the frame details as Cannondale's style. But I'm not totally hip on all the derivations over the years.

Can you look at the attached pics and help me identify this frame? Or if nothing else, verify if it is NOT a Cannondale? Actually, I'm pretty sure it's not a Cannondale, so if someone could tell me what it is, and if it's a keeper, or if I should try to get my money back

Points of concern (not Cannondale-ness):
• Welded-on cable guides for all three cables along right side of top tube.
• Welds not ground smooth
• Style of seat-stay attachment to seat tube (triangle, rather than curved to single tube)
• Short rear drop-out style
• Serial number location and style (A196)

I guess I could just assume that if it fits, it'll work. But it was sold to me as a Cannondale, so I was expecting Cannondale quality. If it's not a Cannondale, by the mid nineties, there were aluminum-framed department-store mtn bikes everywhere...cheap junk. That's not the quality I want, especially at the price I paid ($100).

Also, if it's a random later frame, it may have the geometry for front suspension, and thus not be right for the rigid fork. Yes, that does look like a Cannondale Pepperoni fork, (which would offset some of the cost/value) but it's admittedly not original to the frame. Steer head tube is 1-1/8".

Your insight appreciated.
Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• IMG_5581.jpg
    IMG_5581.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_5582.jpg
    IMG_5582.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_5583.jpg
    IMG_5583.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_5584.jpg
    IMG_5584.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_5585.jpg
    IMG_5585.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_5586.jpg
    IMG_5586.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 238
hhmmm....dont know what it is but like you i think NOT a 'Dale. nice fork but that maybe does not take the $100 sting away?

Back