Can anyone help?

helpfulwife":cna5u446 said:
It is definately part of the frame because he took it all apart over the weekend. I will see what I can do about pictures but it probably will not come out very well.

I believe the crack is 5-7 threads into to frame. I also believe this is the only threaded part of the frame if that helps you figure out where it is located.
That is a tough one. I would need to see the pic to confirm where on the BB shell it is cracked.

If it is what I think it is, the frame would have to be stripped. Then bevel the crack, cold weld with high strength rod, cold water quench between passes, then let is set for a week.

After setting(assuming it is 6061 alloy), the BB shell threads will have to be chased and you are ready to reassemble.

Ask your hubby if he is prepared to proceed in this manner.

Good Luck,
Terry

Thank you so much to everyone that replied to this post and for your quick assistance. Your assessment of the situation matched that of my husband and the bike was 'pronounced at 4:54 on Monday' (that is a direct quote from my husband when he found out there wasn't a cost effective way of repairing the frame and that even if it was repaired it wouldn't be strong again).

I am hopeful that a replacement frame will be available on eBay along the way but at the moment he is not hopeful.

Again thank you and I will continue to watch this post if anyone runs across a GT RTS2 frame in excellent condition (in the US please because shipping cost scare me this days!). I believe he is looking for the second to largest frame size.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... hlight=rts

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-GT-RTS-2-Fr ... dZViewItem

08f9_12.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thank you for the leads. I will pass them along to my husband.

I had already brought up the one that you have pictured (currently on ebay) and I was very excited that I could solve this problem for $200 rather than $2000 for a new full suspension Mtn bike but he said it was too big. I guess this is a 20" frame and my husband was riding an 18" wishing it was a bit smaller. Therefore, he didn't think he could ride a 20".

Wow - thank you for all the help.....keep it coming!

Latest posts

Back