Can anybody help me identify this Raleigh please?

Nice work digging all that info up John as it's very interesting to see all this lovely info and really pleased for you that this the Record Ace 12 which other than just a tad shabby appearance deserves a little respect by painting it in it's original colour and seen as it's short of a few parts would be an ideal candidate for a slow restoration imvho ..

I've given myself a couple of months to obtain and refurbish the missing parts before assembly.

I have the decision on what finish and paint to put on it. I don't want to spend silly money on a £20 frame, fortunately the Record Ace 12 is a very simple job it seems. 1 colour and a few decals.

A friend of mine can blast and powder coat for £45 any colour (mates rates) - he's done wonders on my other 531 frame (another rescue rusty wreck - now my daily commute). Decals bond on either - and I think Record Ace 12 decals are readily available. That's the cheap option - but slightly more limited in colours. A quick eBay tells me I could get most of the missing bits with the same spec or similar from the same era. I'm looking at a budget of maybe £259 over a couple of months for a complete bike.

If I get a really good spray job I can add a significant amount more onto that - but for a more authentic finish. I'm not going to choose until I've priced a few options and looked at getting some Fern Green paint - I don't suppose anybody knows where to get Raleigh colours?

It's hard to know what to do really isn't it?

One things for certain - I'm going to make a bike out of this using components of the same era to as near the same specification as I can. I already have most of them - missing a few important bits though.

You seem to have everything already planned John which is the best way to head into this project and normally i'd say a good auto paint supplier will mix the colour that your after but if your mate can clean and powder coat in a choice of colours for £45 :cool: then your bound to find a similar colour to the fern green any way and lets face it having a frame painted even in just a single plain colour these days is a bit on the costly side to say the least unlike back in 1996 when i had my Dawes Celeste re painted in cream and burnt orange enamel for the princely sum of £35 ..

I don't blame you not going down the exact original spec route as that will just end up costing you alot more than you want so using mainly what you have seen as it's period correct is still respectful to the bikes originallity imho and i guess it's the saddle n wheels and probably handlebars that your short of but their should be plenty on the bay to choose from unless your going down the wanted add route on here any way i look forward to seeing this project take off ..

Steelframeman":25lsc04s said:
Also the RD cable running under the BB would make it 1984 not 1974

Yes and they were plastic in 1984 as i think in the late 70's and very early 8o's some were brazed or welded cable guides depending on the quality of the frame ..

I expect to be corrected by the Raleigh expects but to my humble understanding -

Worksop build bikes being better quality used 44.tpi on BB whereas all other Raleigh's of that time were using 26.tpi

I'm not certain when Raleigh changed over to use the standard 24.tpi threaded BB ?
Also when did Raleigh stop using the three rivet badge & go to a bonded type decal ?

I don't know anything regards the threads on the bb's due to still learning about Raliegh but rivet badges were used from the 60s to around the end of 1979 as far as i'm aware of so were then replaced with bonded in 1980 ..

Back