Campagnolo mid 90's 9 speed Ergo Shifters?

Markone

Retro Guru
I have a mid 90's 9 speed pointy hood Campag Ergo shifters triple groupset on a Colnago Super.The right hand shifter needs a replacement ratchet ring,which is impossible to find in the UK.

If I were to get more recent Veloce 10 speed shifters,rear derailleur and cassette would the left hand shifter work with the older 9 speed triple front derailleur and would a 10 speed chain run on the 9 speed chainrings?

Any suggestions to a solution for the above would be very gratefully received.

I wonder why you have to replace the ratchet ring? They are hard to wear.

The main problem you have there, is that the very early 9sp stuff is a mixed bag, because the early generation (yours may well be, since has the "pointy" hoods) would use for the rear mech the pull-ratio of the 8sp ones. Later 9sp stuff does use the same pull ratio of 10sp (and all the 11sp ones, too, until 2016 IIRC).
So, yes, a 9sp ratchet ring to match the rear mech you have, will be very hard to find.

I believe you shouldn't have problems in using the Veloce 10sp Lh shifter with pretty much any Campag front mech, as long as it's not for "flat bar" shifters (they have "FB" printed on the arm), and especially if you're using the better type of Ergopower with multiple downshift.

The 10sp chain can go on 9sp chainrings, just be aware that in some case you may have the chain "skating" in between the rings, it's really trial&error there. Of course, a perfect chainline helps a lot in those situtations.

gattonero":2y0yxgk2 said:
I wonder why you have to replace the ratchet ring? They are hard to wear.

The main problem you have there, is that the very early 9sp stuff is a mixed bag, because the early generation (yours may well be, since has the "pointy" hoods) would use for the rear mech the pull-ratio of the 8sp ones. Later 9sp stuff does use the same pull ratio of 10sp (and all the 11sp ones, too, until 2016 IIRC).
So, yes, a 9sp ratchet ring to match the rear mech you have, will be very hard to find.

I believe you shouldn't have problems in using the Veloce 10sp Lh shifter with pretty much any Campag front mech, as long as it's not for "flat bar" shifters (they have "FB" printed on the arm), and especially if you're using the better type of Ergopower with multiple downshift.

The 10sp chain can go on 9sp chainrings, just be aware that in some case you may have the chain "skating" in between the rings, it's really trial&error there. Of course, a perfect chainline helps a lot in those situtations.

Thanks for your reply.On inspection I can see no wear on the ratchets of the ratchet ring,but the rear derailleur will not index the chain in the middle of the cassette so it seems the front right shifter is at fault,which is also the opinion of my LBS that I took it to for them to examine.Also I am counting only seven clicks of the front paddle when there should be eight.Could there be another cause,though?

A common issue with shifting problems are the G springs getting worn or the G spring holder developing a crack which can feel like one of the "clicks" on shifting has almost disappeared but I've found this usually happens on the smaller cogs of the cassette rather than in the middle.
It may be worth emailing Velotech Cycling Ltd as they do Campagnolo servicing in the U.K. and the owner is a member on here called gfk_velo
http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/index.shtml

rikster":38y3ivy0 said:
A common issue with shifting problems are the G springs getting worn or the G spring holder developing a crack which can feel like one of the "clicks" on shifting has almost disappeared but I've found this usually happens on the smaller cogs of the cassette rather than in the middle.
It may be worth emailing Velotech Cycling Ltd as they do Campagnolo servicing in the U.K. and the owner is a member on here called gfk_velo
http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/index.shtml

Thank you.The G springs and holder have been replaced with new parts.I will PM gfk_Velo as you suggest and ask him if he can identify the symptoms.

hamster":3mydbk5m said:
If you fit the G springs the wrong way round (as they are mirror images) then you can get that problem.

Thanks,I am sure they are assembled correctly.

Re:

The 10 speed chain will work on 9 speed chainrings. I've used them on 80s 7 speed chainrings, just let it wear in

Mercian supposedly have all the campag spares if u're struck

+1 for Velotech. He rebuilt a pile of ergos for me during lockdown. Been collecting them into a box for years, finally got around to sending them in. Lovely job.

hamster":hj2wbj01 said:
If you fit the G springs the wrong way round (as they are mirror images) then you can get that problem.

The g-springs fit only in one way.
The only way you can do wrong, is to install the Rh ones into a Lh shifter (and the other way round) or to fit upside-down the correct springs for the given side of the shifter. In both cases the shifter won't work at all, because you'll have the "tip" of the spring not making contact with the teeth of the ratchet ring.
I'm going by memory (having breakfast now, so not going to the shed and pick up a shifter) but I really don't think you can put back the shifter and get it to work somehow with the g-springs not fitted correctly.

Back