Campagnolo cranks

seddo

Retro Newbie
Hi
In the process of doing up a colnago with a 8 speed groupset - Mirage/xenon, the bike has fsa cranks and I would like to replace them with campagnolo. Most of the items that are listed on fleabay do not specify that they are suitable for 8 speed, apart from asking each seller if their cranksets are suitable - is there a way of telling.

regards
Richard

Hi Richard :) "You're looking for any of the following : Campagnolo Athena, Chorus, Centaur, all late 80's to the 90's, all built for 7-9 speed. Your main problem is going to be the BB. Campagnolo often need the correct BB, not always, but often.

I have a fair few bikes and run a few of them on 7-8 speed with 1960's cranks, 1970's cranks. I use mainly the above items, and can recommend them as solid & reliable. It's usually your rear mech that plays up when you over stack ie: 6speed rear with an 8 speed block. You can setup in reverse though, 8speed rear mech with 6 speed block. This is all easy if you're bike savvy, but you'll have to think on your feet and ask questions here if you need help. Good luck, yours Laz.

I am sure that there is a set for sale on the CTC forum at the moment.
Don't worry about "speeds" as 8 speed chains will cope with anything later. Just consider looks!

Hi Richard,
Campag chainsets use specific bottom brackets/axle lenghts depending on the model although some chainsets use a common BB. Once you've found a suitable chainset you can look for the right BB and as Laz says ask on here if you're not sure.
You won't have any problems with the standard items on your Colnago frame.

Mark.

Have a look on velobase for the crank you want to buy, under the piccy there are the specs that tells you the right BB length required to go with it

http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... &AbsPos=15

A Campag Athena is shown above, it states it requires a 111mm BB (a common size). An Italian threaded 70mm BB is the remaining spec you need to look for normally with your Colnago, don't think that changed although it's easy to measure your BB shell width.

Shawn.

Campag square taper cranks are available new with 102mm, 111 mm or 115mm axles.

There is a cheaper Tifosi Campag fit BB 1ith 111 or 115mm axle length.

TA do BB for a lot of money with axles of 103, 107, 110, 113, 116, 119, 122, 125 and 131 mm. These ISO axle so campag comapaible. So I disagree that the hard bit will be finding a BB.

These are all lised on the RJ chcikens website and there is good sock showing on the B2b

^ Tifosi also do the 102mm, for 90s Chorus and Record. I bought one recently for £25 new. Works OK so far, but I can't judge longevity yet.
Nick

Back