Campag B Tension clearing frame stop. Help!

Thame Game

Retro Guru
Hi all, I flared out an old Roy Thame frame from 115mm to 130mm to accommodate Campag Record 8 speed.

All was going great until I put on the rear mech. The B Tension screw totally clears the frame lug stop. The part that the screw passes through just about catches the frame stop, but obviously does not allow adjustment.

The frame is circa 1979, and the rear mech is Record 8 speed.

Anyone got a clue what's going on?

Thanks all.

Dropout and rear mech specs have changed over the years. When the shorter Campag dropouts started being used the Campag rear mechs didn't have B tension, just a pivot bolt so had a stop rather than an adjustment screw. When they started making mechs with B tension sets Campag produced a set of recommended dimensions for the dropouts that they could be used on.
The lower stop on that dropout does look like it'd be shy for an adjustment screw, it was probably dressed with some enthusiasm when the dropout edges were filed when the frame was built.

Can you invert the screw? I mean so the screw head hits the stop. Fiddly, very trial and error, but could work perhaps?

Can you invert the screw? I mean so the screw head hits the stop. Fiddly, very trial and error, but could work perhaps?
I tried that last night, but the screw head misses as well. Is it worth bending the screw holder in a bit to angle it more toward the frame? 🤔

That's an option of course, but perhaps rummage around in the parts box for a screw with a bigger head first?

Alternatively, IIRC the screw is the same thread as a dropout screw - they come with a nice fat dome nut which might be large enough.

Back