Calling All Orange C16R Owners

Here's mine. A '95 bought off a mate - it was too big for him. Looks superb on photo BUT there's a nasty scratch on one fork blade and the lacquer is lifting on part of the top tube. So it's off to Bob Jackson's for a tart-up - re-spray and new decals (inc foils) from Gil. Gloss black or midnight blue - not made up my mind yet. Those grey tyres will grace another bike and the scruffy saddle has spruced up nicely.

Attachments

• DSCF5190.JPG
    DSCF5190.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 780
severnthheathen":33d20zze said:
Here's mine. A '95 bought off a mate - it was too big for him. Looks superb on photo BUT there's a nasty scratch on one fork blade and the lacquer is lifting on part of the top tube. So it's off to Bob Jackson's for a tart-up - re-spray and new decals (inc foils) from Gil. Gloss black or midnight blue - not made up my mind yet. Those grey tyres will grace another bike and the scruffy saddle has spruced up nicely.

I'm loving this C16r. I quite like the grey and silver components scheme on it. Look forward to the build if you're going to post it...

Certainly, I intend to post pictures of the build. All components (except the tyres, pedals & grips) will be original stock - mostly STX RC. The frame will going for its makeover in early January. The decals I've got are a silver grey with the fruits in orange. Midnight blue, with a bit of a sparkle, is favourite at the moment but things might change.

severnthheathen":29rxigpd said:
Certainly, I intend to post pictures of the build. All components (except the tyres, pedals & grips) will be original stock - mostly STX RC. The frame will going for its makeover in early January. The decals I've got are a silver grey with the fruits in orange. Midnight blue, with a bit of a sparkle, is favourite at the moment but things might change.

The midnight blue with a bit of sparkle with those decals sounds good – I'm not a huge fan of black myself. There was a shiny blue Kona Fire mountain posted over Christmas which looked really nice. I remember when getting mine repainted, I had a very firm idea of the colour I wanted – only to arrive at the powder coaters with my frame and being blown away by vast array of colour samples on display. In the end, I chose a completely different colour, mainly because of way it caught the sunlight :facepalm: Look forward to seeing the build...

severnthheathen":b7xich8y said:

Looking good and great to see some well thought out plans for this one. Look forward to updates. Also love the home grown bike stand :)

Jussa":3fw2aozj said:
severnthheathen":3fw2aozj said:

Looking good and great to see some well thought out plans for this one. Look forward to updates. Also love the home grown bike stand :)

Plus one.

On my Orange, the lacquer soon started to deteriorate – this was just a couple of years on from new in '93. It started cracking and peeling like the clear sticky back plastic library books are covered in, making it a real pain to keep the frame looking good. Also, the paint quickly deteriorated too after that. May be there was a period of time when Orange had issues with paint and lacquer quality?

You might have a point about bad lacquer. But elsewhere on my frame the finish is excellent. The lacquer has lifted where the cable inners have scratched the surface (careless lifting of the bike by the top tube) and I guess water got underneath and did the damage. Such a shame - but it's only money!! - and it'll soon be pristine again :)

Re:

It got to the point of bare metal and crusty rust (luckily all just superficial) in some places on the frame. Fortunately it's a bomb-proof steel frame and six years ago, I had it stripped, blasted and repowdercoated. It came back like a freshly minted frame, inside as well as outside.

Look forward to seeing your build progress...

Back