Calling All Orange C16R Owners

Re:

Done a bit more work on it recently.
Its now sporting the correct orange stem and sub rc130 bars in red.
Chainset is an xt m739 with the 42t outer ring.
The dmr ss kit gives you 11 and 12t rear sprocket and spacers. Use your existing rear wheel. You need the tentioner to sort the chain, and your good to go. It's a simple job, saves loads of weight, and is now my daily commuter with road slicks.

Re: Re:

Tatsunoko":3p5qe8gd said:
Done a bit more work on it recently.
Its now sporting the correct orange stem and sub rc130 bars in red.
Chainset is an xt m737 woth the 42t outer ring.
The dmr ss kit gives you 11 and 12t rear sprocket and spacers. Use your existing rear wheel. You need the tentioner to sort the chain, and your good to go. It's a simple job, saves loads of weight, and is now my daily commuter with road slicks.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Oddly enough I'm building this as a single speed commuter as well. Great minds etc etc :D

Here's mine, bought for the princely sum of £35 last year. Spent the following:

Charge saddle: £7
Orange seatpost: £8
Front wheel (which I built): £28
Pedals: £6
QR Skewers: £9
Orange (coloured) grips: £3
Chain £9
Orange bar ends £3

£108 total (not inc sundries like cables etc)

Dead pleased with it. It's going to be the baby transport bike - I managed to find a Halfords baby seat for £7! He's got a little helmet now so I'm just waiting for a not-too-cold day to take him out on it...

Attachments

• IMAG0203.jpg
    IMAG0203.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 996
  • IMAG0204.jpg
    IMAG0204.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 997
  • IMAG0205.jpg
    IMAG0205.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 993
  • IMAG0206.jpg
    IMAG0206.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 990
  • IMAG0207.jpg
    IMAG0207.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 989
  • IMAG0208.jpg
    IMAG0208.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 989
  • IMAG0208.jpg
    IMAG0208.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 989
  • IMAG0209.jpg
    IMAG0209.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 995
Hello everybody,I've just found this fantastic forum.I brought my C16R from Shockwave in West Bridgeford Nottingham in 1996 she had been used on an adventure holiday as Shockwave used to do mountain bike holidays,she had had a bit of a rough life and I paid £650.00 for her,I got some new wheels built by Stif on the proper FIR rims and generally tidied her up a bit,after a year or so the local bike thieves tries to steal her but I caught them in the act but I never felt like leaving her unattended again so I reluctantly sold her and said to the person if you ever decide to sell her please give me first refusal and I'm pleased to say he remembered and I just brought her back for £100.00 I am chuffed to bit's she has full LX,canti brakes and Pace forks,he hasn't used her much so I took her down to the LBS who checked her over,everything seems fine but the paint is a mess with a little light rust only specks so she is being stripped down ready to be powder coated,I'm not sure what colour to do her but I'm leaning towards white or a slime green,I will get some pictures up as soon as I get her back,the only thing i'm peed off about is the SK8 stem and the seatpost has been painted black.I hope I haven't bored you stiff with my tale only I'm chuffed to bits to get her back,thanks.

Re: Re:

ridgeback63":2e5jdmfe said:
Here is my C16RComplete with Campagnola euclid chainset.

Looks good; how did the Pace forks last the years? My Q21Rs - which were never that good tbh - are deader than dead.

These are still sound mate,they have been checked by the LBS and he say's they are fine,nearly 20 years and still ok,I'm well chuffed.

ridgeback63":oeele4ks said:
Hello everybody,I've just found this fantastic forum.I brought my C16R from Shockwave in West Bridgeford Nottingham in 1996 she had been used on an adventure holiday as Shockwave used to do mountain bike holidays,she had had a bit of a rough life and I paid £650.00 for her,I got some new wheels built by Stif on the proper FIR rims and generally tidied her up a bit,after a year or so the local bike thieves tries to steal her but I caught them in the act but I never felt like leaving her unattended again so I reluctantly sold her and said to the person if you ever decide to sell her please give me first refusal and I'm pleased to say he remembered and I just brought her back for £100.00 I am chuffed to bit's she has full LX,canti brakes and Pace forks,he hasn't used her much so I took her down to the LBS who checked her over,everything seems fine but the paint is a mess with a little light rust only specks so she is being stripped down ready to be powder coated,I'm not sure what colour to do her but I'm leaning towards white or a slime green,I will get some pictures up as soon as I get her back,the only thing i'm peed off about is the SK8 stem and the seatpost has been painted black.I hope I haven't bored you stiff with my tale only I'm chuffed to bits to get her back,thanks.

Welcome chap, great story and a happy ending by all accounts, doesnt look like it will take much to fettle it back in to shape, and i am sure what ever colour you choose it will look sweet. I love my C16R, often overlooked and underated i have loved every minute on mine. I look forward to updates on the build and whatever colour you go for :)

Jussa

Hi there,
I found your site a couple of months back - just great. I've a C16, and have been trying to find out more about it. My son bought it circa 1997/8, because it was light, and he reckoned very good value for money (reduced because of the colour), he also insisted on click handlebar gears, so he could keep his hands on the bars - ahead of his time I believe. The supplier was Airedale Cycles, which coincidentally was not far from where I was brought up, but we lived a long way away. He used it for a few years, but then it was left in the garage, and eventually I bought it from him, and I've liked using it!
I tried to get information from Orange but nothing. An assistant in the local cycle shop a few years ago, said he'd seen an article in a bike magazine on the C16 as a Classic, but again no joy, when I emailed the two likely ones. Then in the summer the thought crossed my mind of looking on-line, so here I am.
RobertW
I'd post a photo, but not sure how to do so, - Add the file, perhaps?

Back