Calling All Orange C16R Owners

After spending all my money finishing the P7, I decided to give the C16R (owned from new in '95 from Channels in Chelmsford) a bit of a TLC.

On a whim I thought I'd try a single speed set up, and have to say, it's a blast!

Just need to put the F7's back on (as the no-name scaffold forks don't really help). Then a set of Gil's decals and I fine steed it will be again (and it will warrant better than crappy phone pics)

Attachments

• ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 963
  • ss12.jpg
    ss12.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 963
  • ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 963
Re:

Bit of a thread resurrection, and my first post! So hi, here's my C16R bought from 'on your bike' in Tooley Street a long time ago.

I used it to commute to work from Catford to Union Street in Southwark on a daily basis, and as such it was 'Roaded' slightly.

20140711_181821.jpg

I'll test out this image link thing and post more if all OK.

Cheers all!

Re:

OK, so that worked out OK. Here are some more pics of the poor old thing.

Chainset etc.

20140711_181840.jpg

Rear Wheel - check out the build:

20140711_181854%25280%2529.jpg

Rear mech and block:

20140711_181845.jpg

Front wheel:

20140711_181900.jpg

Front Brake area:

20140711_181905.jpg

Bars:

20140711_181911.jpg

Stem:

20140711_181937.jpg

Seat:

20140711_181926.jpg

Re:

Some great C16's coming out the woodwork, and some great variation in builds and spec, love the single speed set up :)

Re:

I collected this today, feeling quite smug since it set me back £35. It's in reasonable nick given the age but it needs a full strip/rebuild, and the front wheel isn't original. Saddle and post don't look right either (what did these have originally?). It's got full STX RC which feels as though it's still functioning properly, or will do after a good clean and lube and set of cables.

Bit confused about the rear wheel; I've never heard of 'FIR' rims. There's quite a big step in the side of the rim from brake wear so I might be seeking a set of period-suitable wheels, since the front one isn't right either. Doubt I'll be able to find a Shimano hub/FIR front wheel, will I?

Attachments

• c16r [1].jpg
    c16r [1].jpg
    36 KB · Views: 865
  • c16r [2].jpg
    c16r [2].jpg
    29 KB · Views: 866
  • c16r [3].jpg
    c16r [3].jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 866
  • fir rim.jpg
    fir rim.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 866
The FIR rims are probably original, I had them on my orange of a similar vintage, I have FIR Impes rims with a step/flange just inside the braking surface (a bit like this -/-\- ) it's meant to be there - supposed to lateral increase rigidity of the rim. The bike came with an orange branded saddle and the seatpost was a steel 26.4mm diameter, shimmed to fit the 29.6 mm internal diameter of the seat tube (can't see yours in your pics). My seatpost eventually fatigued to fail at the weld last year - not bad for a 1997 piece of kit :)

Re:

Picked this up off facebook in middle wales, it was in a poor state but complete, 1995 full shimano alivio,

advertisement,

and now,

I still can't believe how light this is for a base model bike,

EggsBenedict":37l459uf said:
^^^ Want to start using it again. Where to start? The shifters don't work well at all, which I guess is a good place. What fits?

If the shifters are sticky the first thing I'd do is remove the cables, oil them or replace them and go from there. Can make a world of difference.

Tatsunoko":1g6psvb9 said:
After spending all my money finishing the P7, I decided to give the C16R (owned from new in '95 from Channels in Chelmsford) a bit of a TLC.

On a whim I thought I'd try a single speed set up, and have to say, it's a blast!

Just need to put the F7's back on (as the no-name scaffold forks don't really help). Then a set of Gil's decals and I fine steed it will be again (and it will warrant better than crappy phone pics)

Looks great!
I'm just about to start a single speed build, anything to look out for before I commence?
OOI what did you use for the crankset & rear wheel/hub/freewheel?

Back