C456 build: returning to my youth (kind of)

IWish

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well since I still haven't posted a build for my other bike, I thought I'd go through this first.

I decided I wanted to recreate and improve on one of the best bikes I've ever had, my 456 carbon.

Previously it was built with what I could afford at the time and what I enjoyed, mix of parts, few goodies but very much functional (atleast at the time, some items are pretty hard to get now!).

Spec list was a bit questionable but improved as I got through it.

The final version was this but with a saint crank and some Hope Moto v2s, sadly I can't find that photo.

Very usable 1x9 do it all bike.

I've always enjoyed the on one 456, it's a real trooper, I've had a carbon, a steel and 2 versions of the Ti 456, I also have a Ti 45650b too build if/when I get the frame repaired.

So I went looking for another and thanks too member @bobbobbob3 : the return of my youth has begun.

Attachments

• p3pb8713530.jpg
    p3pb8713530.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 7
So,

I went off too see Bob, a nice drive upto Harrogate and patience from him with my travelling through rush hour too come and collect got me a lovely raw colour medium 456c complete with superstar headset and ks lev seatpost (non optional, it's stuck 😅 conveniently it's stuck at my riding height)

I had alot of parts around to begin my build including some of the parts that lived on my first frame.

The plan was originally too run a set of fox 36s that I have about, but the tapered headset coupled with the fox forks condition put me off that idea.

So to Facebook marketplace, I found a lovely x fusion slant fork in tapered 160mm 15mm axle (which created a small problem later on)

Combining it with a upgrade from my original builds sun mtx on hope bulb wheels I got some deemax on hope pro 2 (or so I thought) wheels. Took me a while to realise they had a bulb front hub 🙄.

So I had too adapt and overcome, so I believe I have a world first 15mm axle hope bulb. With thanks to a sacrificial 15mm adapter too make it fit and work properly with the bulb it all came together and works great.

The end result is a nice stealth frame with some very in your face yellow rims 😁 atleast I won't be hard too miss.

Next up came the drivetrain, I have the pretty much whole drivetrain that I ran previously on the last 456c and I'm going to keep running it until I find a suitable replacement or another build to transfer my m9000 onto so I can pull the 20th anniversary xo stuff from the 456c and onto the bike currently running m9000.

But for now, I have a 1x9 sram xo groupset, with a raceface atlas crank in red(matching my stem and hubs) that is doing the driving job perfectly)

Also I had the issue of despite hoarding many things, I own virtually no disc brake sets. With help again from local riders, I found myself a lovely set of hope mono mini, (honestly I love hope, wouldn't run another brand of brakes by choice). Coincidentally the same person who sold me the hope brakes has also sold me the race face atlas freeride crank installed on this.

So thays pretty much where I'm at, I need to do some fettling and fine tuning but it seems like it's about where I want it for now.

It needs pedals but I'm looking for hope f20s so I can swap out my crank bros 5050 for them on the other bike and give the 5050s too this.

I'll post more photos too the forum shortly I just need to take some more and make sure photos I have got so far are suitable for posting.

A big thank you again too bobbobbob3 for the frame and enabling me too rebuild and recreate my old 456c

Back