Buzzing feet

Re:

I used to suffer from something similar when out on the road bike where I would feel vibration in my feet and eventual numbness or pins and needles. I bought some better clipless shoes (Mavic with properly stiff carbon soles) and have never had the same issue again. The previous shoes I was using were specialized sport versions which had a slightly more flexible sole so that's the only thing I can think was causing it.

Re: circulate...

Hey Alison, I had similar symptoms develop on my return to mountain biking, that I'd experienced and alleviated in my prime, 20 odd years ago.

There are a couple of reasons why this happens and some things can help alleviate them. Bear with!

Primarily these buzzing, tingling, pins/needles or, technically, paresthesia occurrences, happen due to a restriction of the circulation, or the bloods venous return. Thus sending our optimum blood gas balance, all to the fizzle. This is exacerbated by the cardiovascular (and sometimes hyperventilating), effort we are applying, in the act of the activity, in the first place, which also causes the extremities, to be the last areas to get well oxygenated (co2 is higher due to this). Whilst our core demands more of the optimised gas balanced blood to deal with the effort it's making.

Extreme cases of forearm "Pump" are very common in two wheeled sport, especially in my background of motorbike racing. When I was a kid, at the end of a hard National Trial or Enduro, I'd have to stop my bike, propped up against our van, or someone else's., until my dad or some other kind person, could come along and peel my hands off the 'bars. So clawed, and unusable they had become. This is the extreme end result of the condition.

It can also be worsened, by dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, restrictive clothing at the pinch points and sadly our ageing cardiovascular systems.

Our bodies (especially the female of the species) surf a fine line between perfect flow of nutrients, oxygenation and hydration, so looking at adjusting intake of all, to meet the specific demands we're asking of it is the first step to help optimise the above. Other medical conditions, everything from Athsma to Coronary Artery Disease, even a common cold also should be considered vs our performance. Even not having a full tummy, (if full it can mean blood is being demanded for digestion purposes), and therefore more optimised blood, is available for the main cardiovascular organs. (In the briefest of descriptions)

Shoes, socks and gloves that don't constrict the blood flow by being tight around the ankles, wrists and pinch points of the pedal arteries in the feet are next to consider. Similarly, shorts and saddle combos, that don't cause "digging in" of our femoral arteries, where even a developed muscle group in tension, can contribute to pinching, at adequate blood flow requirements. Jerseys similarly, that don't "nip" under the oxters. Then breath control excerscises, 2 seconds inhalation and two second exhaling if feasible, to promote optimum route blood gas levels, when sprinting, that's not so easy.

Lastly, consider postural positioning on the bike, with a excessive bend in the wrists, blood flow would be automatically restricted, similarly with seat hight and reach, affecting knee bend flow and compression into the pelvic cradle, if you're too "scrunched up"!

Sorry for war and peace, it's something I've looked into lots and have improved on over the years, from my experiences as a kid, now with a bit of a medical background, it's all making sense.

All the best,

Mike

Back