'buy it now' button temptation got the better of me!

Bike Hoarder

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Well, there I was happily scrolling through my favourite bike shop that is eBay, and I saw it... Listed as 'Mountain Bike', couldn't resist, not a great pic but it looked interesting, looked familiar, button was pressed.

Screenshot_20221029-144111.png

A deal was done, and the owner was even happy to drop it off for me as he was passing the door. Not a lot of dollar was handed over, and I was then the proud owner of a '93 Clockwork with Pace forks and a smattering of STX/LX/XT.

I couldn't tell too much from the pics, but I could see it had XT vees, LX rear mech and hubs, STX cranks and front mech.

Okay, so ultimately the frame is battered, the forks have collapsed, and the rims are badly worn. However, I think I can salvage so good usable parts from it, or maybe just strip it, clean it, rebuild it and ride it!

Always room for one more right?

XT v’s are a design classic. Always worth a few quid and are just brilliant. Pace forks will hopefully clean up and might get you £75 without elastomers depending on the state of them when you get them apart (which is dead easy). Hopefully some functional donor parts.

Love an orange rescue. They ride so well. Get it resprayed and built up!

Those fire XC’s can go straight in the bin though - what were we thinking in the early 2000’s?

Tyres are shot - and will be heading to the recycling straight away. It's got 8spd XT brifters (erm.... When did they start getting called brifters - did I miss something?), so along with the vees they'll be heading to another project I have lined up. Think the frame would suit some black LX which I've got a bit laying around. Rims are Mavic 237's on LX Parralax hubs, braking surfaces are really concaved, so may need to do something there. The STX parts I can probably use on another project...

I was mainly thinking of using parts and flogging the frame, but the more I think about it, the more I picture an end bike. Frame is tatty though, really tatty, I can't justify a respray on it as I've got others in the line for a decent finish - maybe just a rattle can in the summer and some repro graphics.

Some okay parts harvested, forks look okay after a quick clean - some new elastomers and some decals and they'll be good to go. Brakes and shifters cleaned and ready for the next project. Rear mech is fairly well worn, lots of play in the cage and pretty scuffed up. Cranks and front mech will get chucked in the parts bin. Pedals are Tioga - surefoot iirc, a bit banged up but could clean up okay with a lick of paint maybe. There's a but coming...

Bottom bracket is seized well and truly... And the non drive side chain stay has a rust hole in it... 🤦‍♂️

Back