build thread for my van!!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
:D

i have just booked my van in for it's conversion so i though i'd do a build thread for it!! :D :D

i bought this van nearly 2 years ago, i had wanted a van for years but i couldn't afford one till recently. VW was the obvious choice although i did stretch to get the T5. since having it i have been to many events and had loads of weekends away riding :cool: the plan right from the start was to get it converted as and when i could afford it. so today i went to Calypso conversions in salisbury to get the ball rolling, the owner Jon, has had a bad couple of years, he did have a large premises but due to some family illness he had decided to relocate back to working from his home. but the quality of his work is awesome, having seen it in the flesh at a VW van meet a while ago. he one of those people who charges a little more but when you see the finished product and compare it to the cheaper option you see why and are then glad you paid his price.

so today i put down a deposit, the plan is to put windows in the side, remove the crappy bulkhead, move the front double seat to the back and fit to single seats upfront, then have a bulk head behind the rear seat as this would keep any bikes out of view, then it will be lined/insulated and carpeted right the way through. it's gonna be expensive but it should be really cool when it's done :D :D

so far the only things i have done is fit a better stereo, bolt on some alloys and replace the front end with a Caravelle front end assembly. the reason i did this was that when i bought it i asked them to colour code the bumpers, unfortunately i got a little done as they didn't prep and prime them properly so the paint gradually flaked on the bumper. but aswel as that the panel van front end is a pig to clean! the Caravelle front end by comparison is perfectly smooth and has less nooks and crannies in it which makes it loads better. although i am waiting for the new grill assembly aswel, i was told the panel van grill fits the caravelle front end and does, sort of, but it's not ideal so a £150 trip to the dealer to order one happened this morning!

i was gonna leave doing this till later in the year but i now have a deadline as i am driving to Morzine in july with 3 mates and our bikes for a week of downhilling! :D :D so i brought up the due date, then Jon said he could fit it in for the work in mid march! so my next paycheck is well and truly spoken for!! :shock: :shock:

any way here are some pics, hopefully in the correct time order, and when i get the work done i'll post the 'after' pics. :D

Attachments

• van4.jpg
    van4.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,325
  • van5.jpg
    van5.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,325
  • van6.jpg
    van6.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,325
  • when i got it!.jpg
    when i got it!.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,325
more pics as the beastie changed :D

Attachments

• van3.jpg
    van3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,323
  • van2.jpg
    van2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,323
  • van1.jpg
    van1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,323
  • van in pieces!.jpg
    van in pieces!.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,317
a couple more, had to get the username on there! :D :D

Attachments

• van7.jpg
    van7.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,315
  • van8.jpg
    van8.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,315
it's not for camping, or rather i'm not! i'm converting it for the trip as opposed to when i get there!

looking forward to it though, it's been a long time coming for me

:D

Cool!

Might give this a go:

SDcamper001.jpg

Back