Budget Light Rigid Street Cred not required

Janners Mugs

Old School Hero
My lack of work today is the result of wondering what I would build Retro MTB wise that was light and on a budget, hence frames with big street cred are a no go. As an example most Oiks in the street won't look twice at a 90's Diamondback or Tmax....but put a Cannondale sticker on it and the cost goes up and so does the "let's nick it factor".
Wheels..what's light but not a wallet buster?
You get the idea, all a bit of fun. But for me who is only familiar with Diamondback, Marin and GT it's really got widen my horizons.....or give me headache! :mrgreen:

Janners

Re:

Anything quality but with a shite paint job...

My work Cannondale has a semi- stripped, looks like something from Chernobyl vibe. Result is nobody looks twice. Slick front, and semi slick rear, inflated hard. Low down stance thanks to flat bars and a zero degree controltech stem means it's fast and fairly nibble in the corners - weight is about 25lb with periodish DX/XT kit.

I'm currently building a neo retro around a steel frame designed by Mr Murray (it's not a Kona) that I've wanted for a long time, it's currently being adored with parts I've had for quite a while. Mr Marzocchi's Qr20 Bombers up front, Mr Hope's classic C2 brakes & "Big un" hubs, Mavic D521 rims surrounded by Mr Schwalbe's "Crazy Bob" tyres & thats as far as I've got so far with the definite parts choice.

Univega!
They ride really well, but for some reason are totally unloved. I'm totally gutted that my wife's Alpina Alu 800 has cracked.

One more to add: DAWES. They made some fabulous frames (for example Edge) but made a total hash of their marketing and have a bit of a beardy CTC tourer image. I've just revived a 653 Edge XT, it's wonderful.

Giant?

Quad butted tubing etc

(Groupset has gone btw)

file.php

Saracen probably won't get much attention. But frankly if it looks low key it'll get little notice. I use an old grey marin with a tatty rack and an assortment of parts as my daily runner and it gets no interest from the feral youth types. Middle aged blokes of a certain type are a different matter though. I also have a turn of the century middle of the range aluminiumTrek - complete with flaking paint -as my back up. No interest in that either - especially when accompanied by a massive motorbike lock.

If all else fails, a rattle can pink pain job works wonders. In frustration, after getting a number of bikes stolen a friend of mine took half a can of pink paint and just sprayed what was left over his second hand replacement bike - tyres, bars, saddle and all. It didn't cover any of it well and looked awful but solved the problem.

Back